Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What size of support bracket do I need for my bathroom slab vanity?

Old 05-31-14, 06:45 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have in mind two versions, from SpeedBrace - FastCap - Woodworking Tools
  • 15" x 18"
  • 8" x 12"
Would either size be sufficient?

Old 06-01-14, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,520 Posts
I assume part of your stone will be overhanging the cabinet??? How far is it overhanging? The distance will determine how large a bracket you need. You also need to be concerned with where the bracket will mount. Most cabinets are not strong enough to offer much support if you just screw a bracket to the cabinet's flat side.

Old 06-01-14, 10:31 AM
A
There is no cabinet, just the slab and a vessel sink on top.

Old 06-01-14, 11:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
In that case I'd go with the larger bracket and make sure it's attached to a stud.

Old 06-01-14, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We use Fast cap brackets quite a bit in commercial work, and they do really fine. I like the channels they run for wiring, etc. Of course you won't need all that. They hold quite a bit of weight, but as Dane says, you must attach it solidly to a stud. Use the larger one. You can put which ever dimension on the wall that you feel will hold the weight. Epoxying it to the top surface of the brackets may be sufficient.

Old 06-16-14, 01:23 PM
A
At this point I have two of the 15" x 18" FastCap brackets. So, I'm guessing the best arrangement for this would be to have both mounted on the top wall. Then have the stone epoxyed directly to the top of the mounted brackets with no other work done and I should be golden.

Old 06-16-14, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
15 x 18 is a little "pimpy", IMO. I like the longer side to fasten to the wall and the short to the top, so you could go with a 24 x 18 for super support. What you suggest, however is spot on.

Old 06-25-14, 11:56 AM
A
To the right of the diagram I drew is the toilet - which allows a small space on the wall for a toilet paper holder, but it isn't an optimal area to reach from the toilet. If I wanted to mount this on the stone's miter, would there be a type of adhesive I can use (the alternative being drilling into 3cm of stone)?

Old 06-25-14, 02:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
I would use a two part epoxy for gluing. If you want to just test fit something to see how you like it hot melt glue works well and is easily removed.

I would glue a toilet paper holder to the bottom instead of trying to stick it to the side. First of all you'll be more limited trying to find a holder that looks good with a base that's less than 3cm wide. Then the polished and possibly sealed edge of the stone will make adhesion more difficult. If you can hang a holder from the bottom near the edge you can choose something with a larger base to allow a larger contact area for gluing. You'd also be gluing to the rough, unsealed bottom of the stab where the bond would be stronger.

Old 06-25-14, 04:38 PM
A
The miter is about 4.5 inches. Mounting on the bottom sounds like a great idea for hiding it out of view, but with the stone being 3cm thick I'll most likely have issues adhering it.

Will try a two part epoxy once placement is finalized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: