Need Advice with Bathroom Remodel

Old 06-22-14, 05:18 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Advice with Bathroom Remodel

My wife and I want to remodel our bathroom in our 2-Family home. It currently has a corner shower unit from Home Depot, which was installed about 7 years ago and completely fell apart (glass doors broke, etc). It was a pretty shoddy installation (i didn't do it) as you can see. I need to put in a new tub/shower combo, something that will be low maintenance, since this will be a rental unit. I'm debating trying to do the removal/install myself, but since I really am not incredibly handy, I'm coming here to see if I'm totally crazy or not. Can anyone give me advice if I did want to tackle myself or should I hire out the work? Also, take a look at the floor tiles (pic attached). Anyone know why this would be happening? Is the surface not level? And then lastly, as you can see, the baseboard heaters are in rough shape. As is the closet. The whole bathroom is a pretty tight space... Any advice on trying to spruce these up? Thanks in advance. Name:  photo 1 (1).jpg
Views: 958
Size:  24.9 KBName:  photo 2 (1).jpg
Views: 331
Size:  25.3 KBName:  photo 3 (1).jpg
Views: 305
Size:  25.4 KBName:  photo 4 (1).jpg
Views: 259
Size:  23.8 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  23.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-14, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You can dig out some of the grout and regrout the cracked areas on the floor. The cause of the cracking will determine if the cracks return.

Paint goes a long ways toward sprucing things up! You can clean, sand and paint the baseboard heater cover. I don't know much about those types of shower units but I'm sure some of the others do, wait and see what they have to say.

Old 06-22-14, 07:59 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Cracked grout usually means that there are issues underneath the tile. Either improper installation of the tile, movement in the subfloor or lack of use of an approved backer board or uncoupling membrane. It can also mean that the grout was mixed too wet when installed, but the cracks seem more conducive to movement as they are quite wide.

I see that you have a caulking issue in the bottom right hand corner of the shower unit. There is definitely some staining where water has gotten past the glass trim and probably into the subflooring. Over time this can cause the wood to rot underneath the tile. Rap on the tile with the handle side of a screw driver and see if it sounds hollow both near the shower unit and around the crack. Compare to other areas of the floor that are not near a water source.

A bathroom remodel ranks high on the "need to know what you are doing" scale. Your admitted lack of skills will make this a challenge. Most people that are not handy do not even possess the correct tools to perform the job. Using the correct tools makes things go smoother. Kind of like using a shoe for a hammer, the hammer will perform the task easier than the shoe ever will.

Old 06-22-14, 08:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Do your research on this tile job. Depending on the age, it is probably set in 2" of a concrete base, rather than normal subflooring.