window in tub area

Old 03-13-01, 05:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

i have a window within the tub/shower of my bathroom (cape cod style home). is there any solution to protecting the window sill, etc. from water during a shower? a plastic shower curtain doesn't do the greatest job, plus they're a bit of a pain while you're in the shower. are there any other solutions? i'm open to any ideas. thanks.

Old 03-18-01, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm nowhere near being a pro - but had an idea that you might consider replacing the window with glass blocks. They come etched and frosted to give you privacy with out having to add a curtain. I don't think they're very expensive and depending on the size of the window - you would only need a few. Just a suggestion......

Old 03-18-01, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
mom of sam

mom of sam.....my problem with that is that i'd lose the ventilation from the existing window and still have a problem with a wet windowsill. but thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-19-01, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
what are you protecting the window from?? water?? look into water resistant paints-sorry now that i think of it-maybe they dont exist. my mother made a curtain from a cut up shower curtain and then hung up a valence to dress it up some. also if your window is outside of the shower, look for a shower curtaiin with suction cups on the edges... i got one at homeplace (i dont know if they exist outside of ohio) but im sure any home decor store should have them...
good luck
jacqui

Old 03-22-01, 11:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi again - I understand your problem with venting the bathroom and the window sill still being a problem. They make glass block windows. They are one piece units with I believe a fiberglass frame. They are made especially for this situation. The one I know of is a casement window. The window frame, lock and crank out handle are all waterproof - look into it....momofsam

Old 03-27-01, 01:19 PM
Visiting Guest
We have the same kind of bathrooms. The water problem is not the window itself, it's the installation. Treat the inside same as outside and think shower as rain. While re-do one of our bathrooms, we replace the slider with a awning type and made the sill slope to inside. It's important to follow water-proofing instruction when install the window. I'm not sure how to solve the problem without extensive remodel of bath/shower encloser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: