Needing advice 1970's bathroom remodel

Old 08-05-14, 08:37 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing advice 1970's bathroom remodel

Hello Everyone, I've been searching forums for help on a 1970's bathroom remodel. I know your basic handyman skills as I've redone a few rooms in our home. Many questions on redoing this budgeted remodel.

The sink is starting to chip at the drain and seems to be corroding the sink is stamped 71-27-61E (not sure when it was made) mounted under the tiled counter top. To the best of my knowledge the vanity is the original tiles which were painted (very well) Also the tile on the floor trip and bathtub. I've read the floor tile could contain asbestos and is solid installed to the concrete flush with the trim tiles. I'd like to keep those and the shower tile.

The backside of the tub where the knob to close/open the drain seems to be rusted out, could I add an o-ring or caulk it to keep it from leaking through. I also sprayed a rust stop spray after buffing the tub.

I'm looking to possible salvage the tub, installing new knobs and orings.
Salvage the sink since it's pretty well installed to the tiled counter top.
Change the flooring or install over it, while keeping the original side trim tiles.
Replace the toilet.
Paint, add vent fan/light since it doesn't have one.
Add maybe two mirrors or a long one to not make the one sink off to the side look awkward.

Any help, even one answer to my question would be greatly appreciated. I'm needing to get this moving ASAP.

thanks,
Jon

Name:  BACK SIDE OF TUB.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  37.8 KBName:  BATHTUB.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  18.6 KBName:  FLOORING.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  46.8 KBName:  SINK.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  21.0 KBName:  SINK DRAIN.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  16.3 KBName:  SINK VANITY.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  24.0 KBName:  TOILET PART SINK.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  24.1 KBName:  UNDER TUB.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  40.8 KB

Old 08-05-14, 08:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
Please clarify your question. You have a lot of statements in your post about what you want to do but quickly scanning I'm not finding a question mark. Do you want us to comment on each or any steps of your plans?

Old 08-05-14, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums....

Sorry to say, but as a plumber your best course of action is to gut the bathroom.. Tub, vanity all tile...Toilet.. etc...

This will also allow you to replace/upgrade all the plumbing in the walls...

Average price should be under 5K with all material IMO...

Old 08-05-14, 08:57 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane, I just don't know where to start. As lawrosa started gutting the bathroom, which I fear will have to be done.

This house has been remodeled and put back together in ways never thought possible. Should I open up the can of worms by taking this completely apart? Or can I just fix the bad spots of the tub and sink and move from there? The only deep concern as I've never seen it before is the hole into the foundation that's about 1' to 3' deep with a 24" length run. Is that normal? And if not is that something easily fixed? Or is it best to not open up more problems at this point? thanks,

Old 08-05-14, 07:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
Old fixtures... painted tile... and now a hole in the foundation. At this point take a deep breath and relax. It would be best to create a thread in each appropriate section of the forum for each of your issues and well help as best we can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: