Tile shower Reno help

Old 08-15-14, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile shower Reno help

Long story short, I am attempting to change out a fiberglass shower pan to a tiled shower pan. The walls are tile and my plan was to "pop off" the lower row of tiles to remove the fiberglass pan then replace them with extra tiles from the original install.

My problem now is the tiles are not popping off like the first one did when I came up with the idea as well as the shower is not hardiboard as I thought, but green board with some form of blue "redgard". Trying to pull the tiles off is actually ripping appart the drywall behind. Can I cut all the way back to the studs, re-drywall and proceed? How do I achieve a waterproof seal at that seam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-14, 05:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. How do you waterproof the transition from the old work to the new?

I think you need to get tiles off without damaging the underlying waterproof layer in a strip all the way around the shower. Then you can apply/install your lower waterproof membrane up an over the existing to achieve a good seal. You do have to face the fact that getting the old tile off without damaging the membrane or waterproofing layer underneath might not be possible or could be very slow and tedious. Instead of spending a lot of time trying to remove the existing tiles you may reach a point where it's just quicker & easier to rip it all out and come back with Hardi or cement backer and re-do the whole shower.

Old 08-16-14, 06:38 AM
After banging my head against the wall (literally) several times last night I may have accidentally found my own solution.

I can't find any way to get the tiles off the front of the green board without it bing damaged. I WAS however able to get some of the green board off the back of the second course of tile without removing or damaging the tile!

Here's my thought that I would like some input on. Removed the entire first course of tile and the green board behind it. Remove say 1/2" of greenboard from behind the bottom of the second course of tiles. Before I Install my hardibacker, use my redgard and paint it behind that second course before I slide the hardibacker into place.

In my head the theory works, but I'm looking for feedback and thoughts.

Old 08-16-14, 10:43 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Your game plan will look exactly as in the above link, so do your homework and have everything ready. The step that will not be included in the link is to be able to get some 6 mil poly slid up and UNDER the greenboard so that the gap is bridges and the poly lies on top of the pan membrane. That way, no water can get behind the cement backer board. Use limited nails on the poly and caulk the nail holes as you go. Mesh tape and thinset the joint and redguard when dry. Your result should be a waterproof shingled and properly layered repair. The key is to get the poly slide behind the greenboard and then over the pan liner.

Old 08-16-14, 11:12 AM
Easy enough... Well for that part! This project is quickly turning into a major headache I got the shower pan up and found there is a square hole in the concrete around the drain with a black plastic/rubber liner. I'm assuming I need to go grab a bag of concrete and fill it?