Scratched brand new granite composite sink

Old 08-18-14, 05:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scratched brand new granite composite sink

I've got a dilemma. Just had beautiful new quartzite tops and black granite composite sink installed last week.

The first evening we could use the sink, my wife was washing a pot and discovered that it scratched the sink. We've seen a few other small scratches develop in the next week. The scratches are not visible when wet, but easily visible when dry.

We contacted our installer and he recommended a product called barkeeper's friend. We tried it. Didn't work.

Installer came out and saw scratches. He said he can give us a new sink and we're responsible for installing it, or he'll credit us the price of the sink. He refused to actually replace the sink because he's worried the stone top lip will crack during removal.

Neither option is acceptable to us. His options mean he either gives us a new sink and we bear the risk of cracking the top plus the install labor, or we get a few hundred off the bill and have to live with a sink that's scratched and will probably scratch more.

In our last house, we had the same type of sink with zero scratches. This one scratched day one.

What should we do? I think these sinks technically can scratch, but day one with regular use? That doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

Old 08-19-14, 07:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
The sink sink's age has nothing to do with its susceptibility to scratching. It will scratch just as easily on day one with it's first use as any other use. So, being upset that you scratched it the first day is sort of inconsequential. The issue is the scratch resistance of the sink for which you may have to contact the sink's manufacturer. The installer just installed it and if you are the one that picked the sink they are caught in the middle when it's the sink manufacturer you should be talking to.

Old 08-19-14, 08:19 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I guess I need to provide more information. The granite installer provided the sink. I just told him we wanted a black granite composite, double basin 60/40 sink, and that's what he provided. We didn't select a brand or buy the sink independently from a supplier.

I'd love to contact the sink manufacturer. We have asked the installer, repeatedly, for the brand name of the sink. He will not tell us. Instead, he simply says that he "has been direct importing these sinks for years and has never had a problem with scratching." He also says that none of the manufacturers warranty against scratches. That may or may not be true, but I've spoken with a couple of other installers and a sink supplier, and they don't think this sounds normal at all.

The installer was at my house last night and couldn't deny that the sink is scratched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: