Mitered granite problem!

Old 08-21-14, 10:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mitered granite problem!

We showed our contractor and granite supplier a photo of a granite countertop with a mitered edge. He said "no problem" and that the "seam practically disappears".

Unfortunately, this is what I found at the job site today:
Name:  kitchen1.jpg
Views: 8238
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  kitchen2.jpg
Views: 7054
Size:  25.4 KB

Not only are the seams obviously visible, they've been buffed down so far the granite now has a rounded look, rather than the "block" look we were seeking.

What is an acceptable answer here? I want them to rip it all out and I'll find another (qualified) installer...but not sure they'll go for that??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-14, 02:25 AM
Granite often has visible seams, depending on color. I guess salesmen are reluctant to tell you this.
2 things:
1) In over 14 years of professional kitchen remodels, I have never seen a mitered edge.
2) I contract, and also subcontract with a national company. This company: If a customer says take it out, then it gets taken out. It's satisfaction guaranteed and I would demand replacement. They may start offering you money off or something, stick to your guns and insist replacement with different edge treatment is the only answer. I like the full bullnose. Keep in mind seams may be visible on surface of counter, but you should only have (one?). Any company you choose will have these surface seams.

Old 08-22-14, 03:27 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Looks like 2cm stone trying to look like 3cm stone. I too question why the edge treatment was requested. The epoxy used to fill the seams was not a good match for the stone. I would hesitate to get a true "hard edge" on the counter top. It may chip out on you. I would recommend one of the standard round over or eased edge treatment.

Old 08-22-14, 03:40 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
I agree with the two previous posters as to quality and you should ask for replacement. However, I really don't think it's that bad. Any mitered corner will a slight space or flaw. You got what you asked for.

Old 08-22-14, 04:24 AM
Norm has a good point, you chose this edge. I'm just surprised the vendor even offers this as an option. It sounds like what you wanted is typically called an Eased Edge (as Czizzi stated).

The vendor may play hardball with you.

Old 08-22-14, 05:22 AM
C
Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology; we asked for a 2" mitered apron (?), much like this (this is more than 2", but is the look we want):

Name:  kitchen4.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  37.2 KB

The slab is 3 cm. I realize a seam will be present along the edge to a degree, but this seems excessive; the pieces don't match up evenly and the epoxy color obviously doesn't match.

At this point, what are the options? The builder said the epoxy can be "dissolved with chemicals and replaced with a matching color"...not sure if that's true?

Is this simply a mismatched epoxy, or a failed attempt at providing what we're asking for?

Thanks much in advance for your feedback!

Old 08-22-14, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure. I don't fabricate or install stone. I see the install and results.
A stone expert should come in and give some guidance. I would imagine the filler can be redone. I've seen seams redone because customers were unhappy.
Seam complaints come up once in a while with granite installs. A good installer can hide a seam very well, but it will never be invisible, like some people are promised.