Looking for help with kitchen design layout

Old 08-25-14, 07:43 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for help with kitchen design layout

We are completely remodeling the kitchen and adjacent living room(which will eventually be the informal dining room). The kitchen is roughly 14 x 10.

Name:  Kitchen blueprint layout 3(bigger).jpg
Views: 6025
Size:  38.8 KB

We are thinking of putting in a breakfast bar/peninsula at the beginning of the kitchen that will be 42" high with wood top and having an 18" deep counter on the kitchen wall(basement wall) by the bar that will go all the way under the bar(see layout).

As of right now, the bar is only 48" long. The top would be 34" wide and there will be cabinets in it on the kitchen side only(12" base, 12" overhang outside of kitchen and 10" overhang in kitchen). There will be angled supports on either side under the top.

The entrance would be 36" and then on the right of the entrance there would be a corner sink and between the sink base and entrance, 46" of counter with garbage and drawers and then upper cabinets. (Sorry about the blue lines on the photo of the layout-cabinet guy started drawing on the back). You can see the rest of the layout in the photo above.

I really don't like the fact that the bar/peninsula is only 48" long. That means we can maybe squeeze in 2 stools in front and 1? in kitchen(because of counter that goes under the bar).

I've been trying to come up with a way to do something so we could have 3 stools in front and at least 2 in the kitchen. We can't put one on the end in above layout, since it's only a 36" entrance. I could possibly shorten the counter on the other side of the entrance, which would mean only having about 31" of counter there and probably losing the 15" cabinet and having smaller drawers next to the garbage.

If I did that, I don't know if I could do a longer bar? Do I want to lose the counter, cabinet and drawer space, or would that be ok?

I'm trying to be creative and come up with a way to do this, so we can have a longer bar. There is a heat vent on the floor in front of the bar, so the base can't come out from kitchen(just the overhang). It could maybe come out to the right of the heat vent only. Not sure if it could come out to the left of it. I also, noticed on the layout, that there isn't enough room between the corner of the 18" counter and the counter to left of the stove, for a decent walkway to the basement, which I go down to a lot for laundry.

Also, I don't know if I like the fridge being in the corner, crowding the window, especially with the stove right on the other side of the window. Plus, it's not the most ideal traffic pattern for someone to be crossing between the stove and sink to get to the fridge while I'm cooking, but with the fridge in the corner and the sink in the other corner, that would give us the most counter/cabinet and drawer space.

If the sink(30" wide) were under the window, there would be very little counter between the fridge and sink. If the sink were under the window with the fridge to the right of the sink, that would take away a lot of counter, cabinets and drawers that are to the left and right of corner sink, and there would only be about 12"-13" between the fridge and sink. If we really changed things and put the fridge on the basement wall, it would take up most of that wall and I think it would stick out too much there. Also, it would take space away from our bar/peninsula and the counter, cabinets and drawers on the basement wall(18" counter).

We cannot recess the fridge into any of the walls, so unfortunately it will stick out about 12" from the counter, since a counter-depth fridge is out of the question(too small inside and too expensive). The fridge will be surrounded by pull-out & drawers on left, cabinet above and wood on right to look like it's built in with the other cabinets/drawers.

I am looking for ideas for the best layout. The basement door and all 3 windows(2 are quite long, about 26" from the floor) stay where they are. We want the stove between the 2 long windows. Also, there is a door in living room(will be informal dining room), right next to the kitchen(behind the corner sink), that cannot be moved, which goes out to our enclosed front porch, where the half behind the kitchen(wall with one window), will turn into our pantry.

Any ideas or advice(possibly pictures of ideas?) would be appreciated. Thanks! Kathy

Name:  Kitchen Layout 1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  Kitchen Layout 2.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  Kitchen Layout 4.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  Kitchen Layout 5.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  kitchen living room demo 5.jpg.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  kitchen living room demo 2.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  41.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-14, 08:00 AM
I would leave the plan as is. The Appliance locations look good to me.

The Bar:
so we could have 3 stools in front and at least 2 in the kitchen
It looks like you can have 3 in front and 2 in kitchen. The bar is 48" on kitchen side, but on the other side (front) it is 48 + the cabinet depth on that adjacent wall. So maybe 5' 6"

Old 08-25-14, 08:16 AM
The cabinet to the left of the basement door:
I would consider rearranging this wall to where you could have an angled cabinet at end of run.
Angled cabinet would have open what-not shelves on end.
This will give you better access to basement door.

Old 08-25-14, 08:52 AM
K
There will be an 8" beam(floor to ceiling) at corner of wall that the peninsula would go around, so the beam would take up some room, leaving only 48" in front of bar and 40"-41" about in the kitchen. Not enough room for 2 stools in the kitchen and with only a 36" opening(entrance), there isn't any room for a stool on the side of the bar(in entrance).

What about the fridge being in the corner where it is in the plan? Isn't it crowding the window? Can I open the left door enough to get the deli drawer and crisper open? What about the small amount of space between front of fridge and stove counter/cabinets? What about it not being the ideal traffic flow if I'm cooking and going from stove to sink with someone walking through my cooking area to get to the fridge? Plus, in order to open the left door of the fridge(French door) to get the crisper drawer out to clean, is there enough space to slide the fridge out on an angle to open left door with the stove counter right there?

Another question about the sink. A lot of people are saying they hate corner sinks for several reasons. No room, sink set too far back so reaching sink and faucet give backache, and hard to reach upper cabinet(s). Plus a lot of corner sink cabinets are done wrong, along with the counter and sink not supported right for heavy counter and heavy sink. I'm going with quartz counter and 30" copper sink. Everyone thinks the sink belongs under the window.

Old 08-25-14, 09:33 AM
I'll do some thinking and draw things out for my own review. I'll get back to you as others probably will.
Yes, your kitchen design is not ideal. The windows pose a problem. I agree that a corner sink should be avoided, but I don't like a panel to left of sink either. I may not get back today but I will work on this.

Old 08-25-14, 10:08 AM
K
Thanks, I appreciate any ideas on what could be done!

Old 08-26-14, 08:28 AM
Well,
I looked at your plans and I don't see much you can do. There's just too many windows and doorways.
The fridge should have plenty of access. You also have loading/unloading areas at counters right of range and left of sink. That's good.

I would leave range and fridge where they are.

I would leave long run at basement wall as is, maybe place angled cabinet at end like I mentioned before.

The sink:

You could move it to window wall (left of current location).
Start with a Square Corner Base in Corner, 36" with Lazy Susans.
This Square Base has a 90 degree front rather than an angled front, which gives better access to angled wall cabinet above.

Left of Square Corner will be sink base, 36" or 33".

This leaves room for a Base Cabinet left of sink base, either 12" or 15".

Right of Square Corner Base:
Dishwasher, plus one more base cabinet of your choosing.
The base cabinet to the right of dishwasher will determine how long bar can be.
This is the area you can sacrifice cabinet space to make bar longer.

You will have to go back to your planner at the store to match up upper cabinets with area above dishwasher, but I would start with a 24" diagonal wall cabinet in corner and go from there.

If you decide to do this, or something close, and sink is moved to left, you will also lose one upper cabinet because you can't have one above sink.

Old 08-26-14, 11:25 AM
K
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the sink would go immediately to the left of the square corner base and not be under the window, or under the window with space between corner base and sink? If it went under the window, then there would only be a bit of counter between fridge and sink(5-6"), since the fridge would need to be right up to window trim to have any space between fridge and exterior wall. I'm still wondering if the left door would open with 7"-8" of space on left of fridge. If you are saying the sink would go to the right of the window, I'm not sure I like having it on the side of the window, rather than directly under it. Not quite sure about that. I also think my husband said that due to plumbing, the DW could not go on the other wall and it has to be on the sink/window wall.

I'm still not sure there would be enough room to slide the fridge out on an angle to clean behind it and also get the crisper drawers out to clean. What about the traffic pattern of someone going to the fridge while I'm cooking? Would that maybe not be much of a concern, since there are only 3 of us and only me in there most of the time?

Some people are saying that the sink should go under the window with the fridge to the right of the sink with an island facing the sink with 3 stools on basement side and 1-2 on LR/DR side, giving me more counter space and not having 42" high "bar" attached to the 36" counter on basement wall. With that, I would have all counter height and we wouldn't have the 42" height we really want. Also, I'd only have 12"-13" between sink and fridge. Then both of the fridge doors would open, but I'd lose counter and cabinets/drawers. It was recommended to have the sink and DW in the island, but I would lose drawer space in it and don't really care for the sink in the island.

Also, it would be an open concept and I would lose the wall giving me privacy with partially closed kitchen near the sink. If we put a wall there, the fridge door may not open enough on the right. Plus, others don't like the idea of having to go through the kitchen entrance to DR, then through another door to get to the pantry.

I could do a 42" high, wider, 34"? deep, bar/table top, having it go a bit more into the LR/DR with a 36" high counter attached to it in the kitchen(the whole thing could only go a bit over 4ft into the kitchen to allow space by the stove and then however much into DR), but it would still be completely open concept, which I don't want if possible. Again, this will be our only eating area and our daughter would do homework/projects there, so that is why the 42" top has to be wide/deep enough. I'd even consider doing something different, like rounding or angling part of it somehow, or if something else creative could be done with the shape to make it work. Even once we would have a table in DR, we'd still use the bar top most of the time. I like the idea of a bigger/longer bar/island, but hate only having so much room between island and stove, fridge, and sink and a completely open concept.

With all of that said, what would you do?

Last edited by Kathy642; 08-26-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 03:02 PM
Yes, I was saying sink base (36") would be directly left of square corner base.
So center line of sink would be 54" from right wall.
It wouldn't be centered under window. It's not ideal but I think it's better than having it in the corner, especially since you have that cabinet above the corner sink.
The dishwasher can go on the right wall. The supply line and drain line are easily extended.
If you want sink centered you could get a larger window.

I think the fridge will be fine. I don't know if you're using existing or buying new.
I have a 36" Maytag French doors with bottom freezer. All the drawers, even the wide deli drawer, open fully with doors only open 90 degrees.

As far as moving fridge and adding Island, I would talk to your designer and get some ideas. Look at it in 3-D
Your Kitchen's tough with those windows being where they are.

For the Island, I find it helps to build a cardboard mock up. Make the top the size you want and place it in room to see how it feels. This is for dining.
If you want island for sink and dishwasher, that's not a bad idea either if you have room. It would solve most of your problems with the work triangle and sink placement.

Old 08-26-14, 03:27 PM
K
Thanks for all the advice/ideas Brian! If you come up with anything else, please let me know.