Shower removal / drain fill?

Old 08-25-14, 11:52 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shower removal / drain fill?

My master bath has the currently popular separate bathtub and shower configuration. I'm thinking of pulling the shower converting the bathtub to a tub/shower combo because let's face it, how often does anyone use both the shower AND the bathtub at the same time? If I pull the shower, what sort of special treatment will I need to give the drain before building another vanity (with sink) into that space? My house is on a concrete slab. Thanks.

Old 08-26-14, 06:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is that the only reason for removing the shower? Why spend the time & the money to remove it? I don't think that anything has to be done to the drain but I don't see any reason to do it.

Old 08-28-14, 07:59 AM
S
It's one of those tiny little contractor showers and we can barely turn around in it. Our bathroom is a nice size (about 12 X 12), and already has a huge whirlpool tub but no storage aside from the cabinets under the vanity. We thought a better use of the space would be to convert the tub to a combo unit and add another vanity, plus a full length storage cabinet.

Old 08-28-14, 02:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Is there another full bath in the house? If there is, then your idea makes sense.

Old 08-29-14, 05:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is your tub a drop in or a tile ready type of unit? If there is a gap all the way around the lip of the tub, indicating that it is sitting on a frame, then is is NOT a candidate for tile and conversion. You will have issues with water leaking outside the tub area.

Post a picture of the space if you are not sure. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-04-14, 05:14 AM
S
Name:  IMG_20140831_161643.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  15.5 KB

Sorry for the delayed response. As you can see from the pic, we're in the middle of some painting in that bathroom right now so time's been limited. After some investigation, it seems like this is the drop in type but I'm deferring to your expertise on this. If that's the casecase, are we looking at replacing the whole unit and if so, what should we be going for?

And yeah, Pulpo, there are other bathrooms in the house so we're good there.

Old 09-04-14, 08:55 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's good that you have the other bathroom but wait for czizzi to comment on the walls. I had a tub like that once with a shower. I can't remember what walls were there.

Old 09-04-14, 04:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Unfortunately, that tub is not meant to be used as a shower. The open end to the cabinets and the large flat deck area will invite collection of water that has to go somewhere. Tubs designed for shower use, have a tiling flange integrated into the lip of the tub that is designed to stop water from seeping into the wall cavity. Yours is simply butted up against the wall with a bead of caulk as protection against leaks into the wall cavity. Caulking is not reliable enough to prevent water damage fro happening. As it stands, the tub is set up to handle an occasional splash of water from tub use, but not a steady stream that may happen as in taking a shower.

Old 09-07-14, 07:52 AM
S
Alrighty. So, we were planning on yanking that small vanity, putting a full length storage cabinet or shelves there and building a wall to accommodate the shower plumbing, but it sounds like we'll need a whole different tub too. Can we get the right type of tub in a large size like this oneone or would we be stuck using a standard sized tub? Our bathroom is so big overall that I think that would wind up looking kind of weird.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: