Kitchen Cabinet Template for Handles/Knobs

Old 09-02-14, 06:00 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Cabinet Template for Handles/Knobs

Looking for ideas on a template for my kitchen cabinets. I purchased on at HD but my cabinets have a molding that prohibit the template from being flush. The drawer are also a problems as they have the molding and are also recessed.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Old 09-03-14, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have you tried a template set? Liberty Cabinet and Drawer Installation Template-AN0191C-G-Q1 at The Home Depot If the drawer edge doesn't allow you to "hook" the template over it, you can always tape a piece of rigid cardboard on top to extend the lip of the tool. Just make sure you use the cardboard on all your drawers so they will be even.

Old 09-03-14, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Why not just make one that will fit. Two 1xs attached in an L shape and a thin piece of plywood with the hole [s] drilled in the correct spot works just as well as a store bought template.

Old 09-03-14, 06:12 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Template

Adding to Mark's suggestion: Attach 1x's to both faces of the plywood to make the template reversable for both left hand and right hand doors. Drill the holes in the template on a drill press.

Old 09-03-14, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
The forum could really use a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" voting icon so that we can +1 an answer that we agree with. That way I could give marksr and wirepuller the "thumbs up".

Old 09-03-14, 08:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
.... but then we might get the big head

Old 09-04-14, 05:46 PM
G
Chandler-I Tried that but it's not flush on either the door or drawer

Old 09-04-14, 09:09 PM
So I guess I get the thumb down, right, Brant? I try.

Old 09-04-14, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, yeah- a thumbs down for not making your own jig. Don't worry, you've got about 32,000 thumbs up.

Old 09-05-14, 03:44 AM
Odd this thread occurred. I replaced two cabinets for a client yesterday, and she bought new hardware. Duh, I didn't have my templates with me, so I made one.

Old 09-05-14, 05:14 AM
G
Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I am not a contractor. My contractor as usual disappeared and I cant get a hold of. So I am trying to finish the job myself which I can do for the most part. I know one can be made but I thought maybe there was something pre-made out there other than the one you suggested.
This is supposed to be a DIY forum to be able to get assistance or suggestions for DIYer's. At least that's what I thought. So it's not odd that this thread occurred.
THANKS!!!!

Old 09-05-14, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Grod777,

Don't be quick to take offense, we're trying to help. Don't you think it's a bit ironic that Chandler was needing to do the exact same thing as you, only yesterday?

There are simply several options for drilling hardware holes. you can 1). measure carefully and drill your holes. 2). buy a premade hardware jig (which you did) 3). make your own jig, which is pretty simple to do, as the others have described.

We can't see your cabinet drawers, so we have to imagine what you are seeing. As some of us mentioned, in certain cases you just need to make your own jig. It sounds like if there is a moulding in the way, you might need to go that route.

Old 09-05-14, 08:16 AM
Grod,

It sounds like your drawer fronts have a frame and the main panel is recessed.
No matter what jig you buy, it will not "step down" into the recessed area.
So what are your choices. You have seen or have the regular template, if you use this, it will align with bottom or top of drawer front. Problem is the area of the template that is above the drilling area is "hovering" above the panel, making it difficult to mark hole locations accurately.
You received some good advice here. You need to take that template and somehow put a spacer between it and the recessed panel. Or make your own using same concept. It is important holes are drilled straight and that's why you would use a drill press. (for template only, not to drill doors)
It just so happens that you are drilling difficult doors, I've been doing this a long time and I have never drilled recessed panel drawer fronts.

Old 09-05-14, 08:48 AM
G
Thanks Handyone. I will see what I can come up with as far as making a jig. I was hoping there was something out there premade for my situation. You are right though it has to align properly otherwise the handles will be crooked.

Old 09-05-14, 09:58 AM
I don't want to beat this to death, but if you post a pic of drawer front and door, I can give you a few ideas.
For example: If drawer front is framed with recessed panel. Make a jig from 1/8" ply or hardboard.
Jig will align with inside of panel frame rather than hanging over outside lip.
There's other ways too. We have to see what you're dealing with.
I'm all about accuracy.

Old 09-05-14, 02:20 PM
Grod777, rest easy. I am glad this thread occurred, although it was odd timing. Take no offense. Here's what I made up rather quickly to help. It is marked identically on the other side to keep the edge reference in the correct position. Cap it on top of the door, slide it to where it lines up with the corresponding edge marking, and drill the hole in the pilot.

Name:  knob template.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  22.8 KB

Old 09-07-14, 06:23 AM
G
Thanks All. I wound up modifying the Liberty pre-made template and was able to install my knobs/handles.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: