Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Gap between Marble backsplash and Granite counters

Old 09-08-14, 12:19 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had new granite installed over the weekend. Because the laminate that was previously installed is thicker than the granite, there is now a gap of about 1/4" between the new granite and the pre-existing backsplash. (I know, the installer should've done something about it, but it's too late for that now )

I've decided to take bullnose travertine tiles that are already being used as a border on the top and sides of the backsplash; for a bottom border to hide the gap.

I've laid it all out & cut the tiles lengthwise to minimize the thickness but the one thing I'm unsure of is what type of bonding agent to use? These bullnose tiles are going to overlap on the existing backsplash a little bit, so I need something that will bond to the marble as well as the travertine bullnose.

Should I use standard thinset? Or would some sort of PL adhesive (i.e. Loctite) suffice?

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Old 09-08-14, 12:24 PM
F
the second picture is to show the border I'll be using along the bottom. the tile on the right is cut down to the correct thickness, as opposed to the shorter tile on the left which is the original thickness.

Old 09-08-14, 12:37 PM
but it's too late for that now
It's not too late. Counter should have been shimmed up to meet bottom of tile backsplash.
I could understand if tile was way out of level. Counter contractor is at fault.
If shimming up counter would have caused build up to be revealed at upper fronts of base cabinets, this could have been covered with scribe molding.
I would not put bull nose there, but it's your call.
I would try to find some sanded or non sanded caulk that matches backsplash grout.
It may be hard to find in your area, here I could find a good match rather easily. Check professional tile suppliers.

Old 09-08-14, 12:41 PM
F
I tried caulking it and it just looked odd because the gap is so big... Will a thinset mortar (I still have plenty left from when we originally put in the backsplash) hold the travertine to the marble?

Old 09-08-14, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure, sorry.
Someone will come back with an answer. I say caulk to match or grout to match, no bullnose.

Me personally, I would demand granite vendor reset counter. This stuff isn't cheap and they could have done a better job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: