Help me remodel my master bathroom

Old 09-11-14, 09:21 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me remodel my master bathroom

We've bought a house with a crappy master bathroom. The shower is tiny and builder grade, and the closet is too small. There's a big old garden tub in one corner taking up way too much room. So, our plan is to remove the garden tub, put a new tile shower in its place, and remove the old shower which will allow us room to expand the closet.

Here is a side-by-side picture of what I'm thinking of doing. The entrance to the shower is at a diagonal (a swinging euro-style door). I added a small set of shelves in the toilet room for towels and such.

Name:  Bathroom1.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  24.7 KB

What do you think? As you can see, because I need clearance to get to the toilet area, I need a diagonal passage between the shower and closet space. Thus, I thought the best way to maximize the closet walls would be to place the entrance to the closet at that diagonal.

How would you design the closet? We primarily need space for hanging clothes, but we could probably do with two shelving areas for shoes and baskets.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 09-14-14, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In the redesign, how wide is that passage way to the toilet between the closet & shower? It looks a little narrow. I would keep the door to the closet over by the entrance to the bathroom. I don't think I'd want the entrance to my closet soo close to the toilet and shower (moisture).

Old 09-14-14, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I would enlarge the toilet area a little. You don't want it to be too small, and you have the real estate to make the option. You will need to re plumb the garden tub drain to 2", since it is probably only 1 1/2". By moving the closet door back on the north wall, you will have super space to the left as you walk in, almost like a dedicated separate space.....for your stuff.

Old 09-14-14, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Name:  bathroom.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  8.0 KB

Forgive my poor drawing skills, but I think you'll get it.

I don't like the door being on an angle like that. If it opens in, you don't have much "squish" room behind it on either side. Putting it opposite the vanity and opening as shown, there is still room to put either shelves or 2 closet rods in that space. And if someone was showering or using the can, do you really want to walk all the way into the bath to get a pair of shoes?

I also agree that it looked like you were a tad close to the toilet. Though 36" would seem like plenty, I think with solid walls on both sides it would seemed cramped. The black box beside the toilet could be your storage cabinets or built in shelves. You could cut that in half (horizontally) either giving more space in the closet or more in the bath near the shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: