how serious is this water damage repair?

Old 10-02-14, 10:54 AM
L
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
how serious is this water damage repair?

this pic is NOT the actual problem, just something i found on the internet that is close so we can discuss

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...own-center.jpg

i viewed a home last night with someone who is looking to buy and next to the tub the wallpaper is up and the baseboard rotted away. i regret not thinking to take a pic at the time. its the 2nd floor and it was nite and most of the downstairs didnt have lighting so i didnt look for where the water may have stained the ceiling. a day time visit would be required.

my thoughts are that this isnt a week or 2 of damage, it happened over a period of years. is this generally correct? they stated entire house was painted 2 years ago. the realtor, who is the owner of the place, said they probably didnt put the shower curtain in. you think? also the 'stucco' on the walls had water marks so you can be assured they never turned on the fan.

what is the methodology that you would use to find how how bad this damage is? does the tub have to be taken out, just the wall up near the tub.. the ceiling below? i know its just a guessing game without pics but i'm trying to get a worse case estimate of what would need to be done if they decide to buy this and they will try to reduce the price accordingly. are we talking 5K , 10K. entire bathroom rip out?

I'm assuming the only thing an inspector will do is say there's hidden damage and they have no idea how much becaues they cant. they are going to maybe try to get a daytime showing that fits into my schedule so i can see better

Old 10-02-14, 02:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
A little hard to say without seeing it but generally damage like that is caused by either a little water over an extended period or a lot of water in a short period of time. Hard to say how bad it is until you tear into it. It could be limited to the drywall or you could have rot or mold in the framing behind it.

Old 10-02-14, 02:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mark is correct, hard to determine extent of damage as the water needs to go somewhere. Question ism where did it go after it left the wall. You can do some investigating on trying to determine if there is floor damage. Most likely tile in the bathroom with plaster walls. Tap on the floor in various places with your knuckle or the back of a screwdriver (handle part). Listen for variations in the sound of the floor. A floor with damage under the tile will sound hollow. A tile in good shape will sound solid. Tapping in several areas gives you a basis for comparison as the floor toward the center of the room sees less moisture than that near the tub or toilet.

Old 10-02-14, 02:59 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And where all going to have to guess without a picture.
When I hear textured walls, wallpaper in a bathroom I know there's going to be issues.
Stucco is used outside not inside.
Very common to see wall damage from someone not closing the curtain all the way.

Old 10-03-14, 06:30 AM
L
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sounds fair to say floor and wall at minimum would need ripped up if she wanted to negotiate the sale price down. i guess the good news is they didnt paint so if we see the house during bright day hours maybe can see ceiling damage below

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: