Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

question for finding built in microwave (and or trim kits)

Old 11-10-14, 11:06 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm trying to replace the existing 27" built in GE microwave with a 30" stainless (that's the plan anyway) yet I am having a heck of a time finding said replacement. This is for a built in NOT a range top type.
Absolutely no one in any of the appliance stores has been able to help me to find said appliances.
Apparently you need to get a countertop microwave with a separate trim kit but not all microwaves have trim kits and no one seems to know how to find out which do other than individually checking the parts list for each individual microwave. I've gone so far as to call several manufacturers support and even they couldn't narrow down the options for me.
Has anyone gone through this process who can offer up a better solution? Some means of finding out what microwaves have trim kits and how they fit together?
Thanks

Old 11-10-14, 11:30 AM
Apparently you need to get a countertop microwave with a separate trim kit
This is true...
What is the outside width of cabinet?
What is the height of cabinet? Usually a microwave cabinet will have doors above the opening. I need measurement from bottom of face frame to bottom edge of upper doors.

Correct me if this is not your layout.

Old 11-10-14, 12:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
I do not understand the difficulty. Microwave vent hoods are commonly available and 30" is the standard width. Are you wanting a 27" wide one?

Old 11-10-14, 01:39 PM
It's not a hood Dane, but a built-in.
Here's a good model #: FPMO209K F
It's a 24" Frigidaire Stainless Model.
The trim kit is available in 27" and 30" wide.
30" Trim is PN # MWTKP30KF
27" Trim is PN # MWTKP27KF

capitansquid,
This may not be the exact oven you want, but I would highly recommend you get it. Like you said, the combination of oven and trim is hard to find. This oven is nice and has two trim kits available.
It is stainless finish. I have no idea of price, but I would prepare for the worse.

Also, understand the trim kit is more than just a face. It includes a platform that the oven sits on. Platform is for ventilation and forces the air out of the front via louvers.
I've installed many of these over the years and more than likely you will need to modify the opening you have. Either build up shelf base to accommodate platform, cut opening higher or wider, or all of the above.

You can always get some help here for whatever you need to do. It's tricky sometimes.

Old 11-10-14, 05:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
I apologize. I glossed over the "built in" as I've not seen one in a really long time. I should have better read the "NOT a range top type".

Old 11-10-14, 07:48 PM
C
Hi guys, thanks for responding.

The space is in a fairly large cabinet. 21 high, 24 deep and 29 wide. There was a GE combo unit in there before (27" across the trim). Replacing it with 30" pieces. I've already changed the oven (got a very nice deal on a Bosch 30" stainless oven. Has been working great and looks amazing).
I found a Whirlpool combination WMC30516 which is sold with trim kit MK2160AS. My concern is that the dimensions seem off. (the microwave exterior size is 1" smaller than the trim's interior dimension). Price is pretty good (350 for both).

Old 11-11-14, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Before you by talk to sales person and tell them what you want and you will returned if does not fit, Have them put it in writing that unit can be returned.

Old 11-12-14, 07:52 AM
C
Well ended up talking directly to whirlpool and had a very interesting discussion. That particular microwave is for both the 30" and 27" trim kits. 27" fits snug. 30" is supposed to have gaps on either side. It has black plastic tab like things so it basically just looks like trim once it's installed.
Now here's a scary bit. I talked to 2 lowes, 2 home depot and a manufacturer (whirlpool) and not a single person was able to tell me how to search for these products short of individually checking to see if a particular model microwave had a corresponding trim kit (only some do apparently). The model I ended up buying was a recommendation from a 20+ year veteran of appliance sales at HH Gregg - and that was only after 2 other employees got stumped. This just blew my mind. You'd figure if you were a manufacturer selling trim kits you'd have a means of conveying which units to sell it with rather than the reverse.
The happy ending is that it looks pretty snazzy. Seems to work nice too.

Old 11-12-14, 11:25 AM
This is not a high demand item, so it doesn't surprise me that a typical salesperson would not know right off which ovens have trim kits.
The oven data sheet does indicate what trim kits are available though.
So in your case, it gets a little confusing. You wanted a 30" oven in a 29" space. That can't be.

I'm not blasting you, you did a good job. But to make it easier on next person searching:
If you want a built-in with trim kit, assume oven is 24" wide.
This narrows down the available ovens and all you have to do is check if trim is available. If trim is available, it will be a choice of 27" or 30" wide. Minor alterations to cabinet may be necessary to get a nice fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: