Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Making second bedroom smaller to add another bathroom

Old 11-18-14, 04:57 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, I currently live in a 1300 sq ft 3 bed 1 bath ranch house. I have been thinking of a way to add in a second full bath while making the current bath a 3/4 with a shower. Currently the bathroom is situated at the very end of the hallway with the two bedrooms on the right, the third bedroom is in the basement. I was thinking of taking a little over 2' from the second bedroom making that room 7.5x11. This would move the door to the master bed further down the hall, the plan would be to move the existing bathroom further down the hall, and fit a master bath in behind the existing bathroom.

Think its doable?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Almost anything is doable. The question is whether or not it is wise or appropriate for you and your home. Only you can can decide that. So everything from here on is just my opinion. Personally I think a 7'6" wide room is a closet and too narrow to be a bedroom but if you have kids I can understand how handy a second bathroom could be. Before starting the project I would do a look around to see if selling your house and moving into another that has the size and features you want would be a better option. I'm afraid that such a narrow "bedroom" may end up hurting the resale value of your current home. Add up the hassle and cost of the renovation with possible reduce sellability and the renovation might not be as good an investment as putting the reno money towards a larger home.

Old 11-18-14, 05:30 AM
X
Yeah, your honestly right with the bedroom size, the bedroom is already pretty small so I wouldn't want to take much more space from it. However I did have a second idea. There is a pretty decent covered porch with concrete slab between my garage and house. This could easily be framed in and a bathroom added, as well as laundry on the first floor.

Old 11-18-14, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Would you be able to adequately insulate and heat the porch area? How would you tie in the drain?

Old 11-18-14, 06:17 AM
X
Insulation wouldn't be a problem, I have to build the frame still. They have a concrete slab with brick laid over top, brick could be removed, plumbing laid in and then concrete poured over it to bring the floor up to the correct level, while encasing all the plumbing. Heat I would do radiant electric underneath the tile floor.

Old 11-18-14, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Make sure ther is a footer under slab. Most porch slabs don't have one.

Old 11-18-14, 06:59 AM
X
Good call on that one, that could easily ruin the plan. However I do think it would be easier to just add a full bathroom to the finished basement, but I feel like a second bath on the first floor is much more desirable, however space is limited with the way my house is laid out.

Old 11-18-14, 11:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Now is the part where I have to say go get any required zoning and building permits for whatever you do.

A bath can be added to the basement though you may need a sump and pump if your sewer is not low enough. Even though it would not be as convenient as another bath on the main floor I like the idea better than taking space from an already small bedroom. It also sounds like there is not much to save of your porch. Digging a footer would not be that big a deal provided you do it before the ground freezes.

Old 11-18-14, 01:26 PM
X
I have already researched adding a bath down there before and already know I am going to need an upflush system, I do need to work up a detailed drawing in order to get a permit to build it. They way I see it, its still a second full bath and there is also a bedroom down there, so if an older child or college graduate lived there with their parents in the future, it would be very convenient for them.

The space I plan to add the bathroom is roughly 8x6, so there is room, but not a whole lot.

Old 12-17-14, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the forums lencarifin!

What do you mean by "washing inside bathroom"? Do you need to add a sink? or want to install a washing machine?

Old 12-17-14, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Mark, she was an architect from some foreign country, spamming and advertising via website. I sent her packing.