Where to start with these cabinets??

Old 11-22-14, 09:17 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to start with these cabinets??

I've lived in this house for about a year now, and I want to start making improvements to the kitchen. They are just standard wood cabinets, but someone painted them this horrible green, and not even the whole cabinet. I'm wanting to completely paint over them, as I believe that if I try to strip that color, something worse will be under it. Eventually I'd like to replace everything, but that is a few years down the line.

Any ideas what the best color would be? The house is very beige right now, but I'm working on changing that. I'm thinking going more beige with the cabinets, and then putting in a nice darker backsplash in to add color. That, or just painting them all green.

Name:  20141122_120018.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  36.3 KBName:  20141122_120030.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  36.4 KB

Old 11-22-14, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
Welcome to the forums Katie!

Do you just want to repaint the doors/drawers or the entire cabinet? The oak would need an oil base primer, the doors may or may not need a primer but it might facilitate a color change. Both would need a light sanding first. It would help to know what type of paint is on the doors - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

emily46 voted this post useful.
Old 11-22-14, 09:53 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm wanting to paint the entire cabinet to make them all one color. The paint is latex.

Old 11-22-14, 01:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
OK, the green latex paint doesn't need a primer unless it helps facilitate a color change. The original oak finish will need an oil base primer to insure that your latex top coat will adhere well.

I like to take the doors off [remove hinges] and then use a sharpie to mark behind the hinge on both the door and corresponding opening. That insures you get a neat pro looking job and that the right door goes to the right opening as they might not fit well if they get mixed up. The drawers can be marked on the backside after you pull them out.

After the primer is dry you'll want to putty any nail holes that might show and after sanding, caulk any cracks. It generally takes 3 coats to paint cabinets [1 primer, 2 finish]

you might find this helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...t-repaint.html

emily46 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: