thinking about installing ceiling pot rack

Old 11-27-14, 03:12 PM
D
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
thinking about installing ceiling pot rack

I've been thinking about adding a ceiling-mounted pot rack to my kitchen. My ceiling is only about 7 1/2 feet high and I know that presents some limitations regarding pot racks. Clearly, I need to choose a pot rack that hangs by chains, as opposed to a rigid type of mount, since I have less vertical distance to work with.

But, I think I have two potential locations for a pot rack that would be out of the way. One location is over a counter peninsula. The other location is near one side of the kitchen which is out of the path of foot traffic.

One question in my mind is, how realistic is the notion of storing lids, etc. on top of a pot rack, in the manner shown in pictures at Storage & Organization : Pot Racks | Hayneedle.com ? As I see this, hanging a pot rack at a normal height, in terms of hanging pans, skillets, etc. on the hooks on the bottom means that a stepping stool would probably be necessary to use the top of the rack for storage of lids. Therefore, using the top seems impractical or simply infeasible. So, lids would need to be stored separate from the pans and skillets.

Is my thinking clear and correct on this?

Old 11-27-14, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
David, if you decide on chain mounting the rack over the island, make sure it is secure to ceiling joist members. The chain method may not be the best solution to allow for liquid storage on top. Lids, sure, but it could sway and taller liquids may tip over. If you have the rack over an island, you can hang it a little lower, too, since the space isn't head room necessary. Wall mounting one as in your link is a good way to do it if you have the floor space for it to hang out.

Old 11-27-14, 04:02 PM
D
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Well, I think the chain method is probably the best solution due to the lower ceiling. A rack with the type of mount shown at Ironstone Imports Tips for how to select a pot rack and how to hang a pot rack clearly requires a higher ceiling. I had no intention of storing liquids on top of the rack, so that's not a concern for me. Placement of a rack over the peninsula - I don't have an island - in my kitchen is, again, one of the two locations that seem feasible to me. One aspect of over-the-peninsula placement that puzzles me a bit is simply some obstruction of visibility. For example, if I were standing in the kitchen and talking to someone standing, perhaps even sitting, on the other side of peninsula, I can imagine a bit of peek-a-boo due to cookware hanging low enough to block the view.

Old 11-27-14, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I can see the visual thing on a peninsula, and if hung low enough to reach lids readily, it could obstruct the view really bad.

Old 11-28-14, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would try to keep the lowest hanging pot above 66" from floor. Maybe you could test hang a pot at 66" and see how you would like it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: