Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Advice for measuring refrigerator space for kitchen remodel

Old 12-03-14, 02:04 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am embarking on remodeling my kitchen in my row home. I need advice on the space I should allocate for the refrigerator We have a small 11'x12' kitchen. Our current refrigerator is 28 wide x 28.5" deep x 65" high.

The current space is about 33 inches wide, but this is only due to the way the previous owner installed the base and wall cabinet next to the refrigerator and the cabinet above the refrigerator (no other cabinets on that side of the wall). I can make the width dimensions in the new kitchen design for our current refrigerator and just make the width 30" wide x 72" high, but should I make the space larger in case the new owner (when we sell the house in a couple years) has a larger refrigerator.

The kitchen opening is only 28"x78". I am considering widening the opening to 50" wide. I can't go wider because our radiator pipes are inside the wall in question that I will cut into.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-14, 04:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could go with 33. This will fit a 33" fridge which is 32-1/2" wide. It's a tight fit but fridge should fit. It would be even better if you could go about 34" by adding a filler above.
If you are doing floor or having it contracted, level out floor under fridge before finish floor. Fridges don't level too well by just adjusting the feet.

Old 12-03-14, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
Refrigerators come in so many sizes, it's hard to say. Your best bet would be to go to a website like Lowes or HD and do a little virtual shopping and see what the most common sizes are. I'm doing a kitchen remodel for my folks and theirs is 35 5/8" x 68 7/8". There are a million and one sizes out there. Some depends on whether you will be using a single door or double door model.

Old 12-03-14, 05:06 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I checked out some fridges and also saw there was a lot of sizes. I am just being considerate for when we sell the house in a few years so the small space won't be an eyesore or cause the family to have to get a specific smaller fridge. I will probably leave it at 33" since the remainder of the wall's length in inches is a division of 3 to fit the rest of the cabinets.

34" could work as well, but it depends on the cabinets fitting.

Either or, I am okay with the space that will exist with my current smaller fridge.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-14, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
theirs is 35 5/8" x 68 7/8".
This is a considered a 36" fridge. There are not really a lot of sizes. Most common are 30, 33, and 36. Each is undersized to fit unit in designated width.
You must pay attention to height though. Floor thickness varies and cabinet height above fridge varies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: