Removing Silicon Caulk from Cabinet

Old 12-04-14, 05:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Silicon Caulk from Cabinet

So I am installing a tile backslash in my kitchen. In order to do this I needed to remove the 4" granite backslash the builder installed. We have a double oven that abuts the one end of the counter and backslash. The builder used silicon caulk to fill in the gap between the backslash and the cabinet. There is some silicon residue still remaining on the cabinet. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to remove it. Of course the cabinets are not solid wood so I am afraid of damaging the veneer. Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-14, 06:11 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that you meant a back splash. \ <---- That's a backslash.

Easily Remove Silicone Caulk without Chemicals

Old 12-05-14, 03:08 AM
B
Stupid auto correct! Yes, backsplash.

Old 12-05-14, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,485 Votes on 1,373 Posts
Silicone is pretty much impervious to any chemical once cured.

Many times you can rub the silicone off with your finger. A little oil around the silicone can help as you rub as it gets behind the silicone and can help break the seal. A plastic scraper, carefully used, can also work.

Old 12-05-14, 07:47 AM
It sounds like there was a splash applied to side of oven cabinet. If so, it's going to be very difficult or impossible to get this area clean and looking original.
I would consider adding tile to this area also. Basically duplicating what was there, just a little higher than old to cover any damage.

Old 12-05-14, 07:52 AM
B
That's what I was afraid of. Shoot. It's going to look strange I think.

Old 12-05-14, 08:16 AM
Yeah,
I don't like a return splash on the side of a tall cabinet. But the original installers did it and it's hard to go back.

One option is to cover side of cabinet and stain to match. Most cabinets have 1/4" recessed sides. The face frame overhangs the sides by 1/4". You can apply a 1/4" side panel. Some cabinet finishes are easier to match than others. You'll also need a few pieces of scribe molding to cover any gaps. Small gaps are inevitable when trying to fit this side panel into place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: