RUNNING TOILET

Old 03-22-01, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I HAVE A TOILET THAT RUNS CONSTANTLY; IT DOES NOT HAVE A FLOAT? IS THIS POSSIBLE? OR, DID MY 5 YEAR OLD USE IT FOR TARGET PRACTICE? MY OLDEST SON SAID IT NEVER HAD ONE. PLEASE HELP THIS SINGLE MOM WHO HATES TO SHARE HER BATHROOM WITH HER 3 SONS!!!

Old 03-23-01, 01:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You just have a toilet tank water inlet valve that does not have a ball (probably an improved float-cup type).
The water is constantly running most likely because the rubber flapper in the bottom of the tank needs to be replaced.
Install a new flapper, clean the brass flapper seat with a scouring pad or steel wool, and shorten the chain from the toilet flush handle arm to the flapper to where it just allows it to seal tightly.
There may be installation directions on the package. If there are little plastic "L" shaped arms on the base of the overflow pipe (sticking up in the middle of the tank), cut out the rubber ring of the flapper and just hook the flapper "ears" onto the arms.
You'll see what I mean when you get the flapper and look in the tank.
You don't even have to turn the water off for this. Easy and inexpensive fix. Get a flapper at any hardware or big box store.
If you need any help, just ask.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: