Good Toilet and Undermount Sink suggestion

Old 12-19-14, 12:05 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Toilet and Undermount Sink suggestion

What is the best toilet available. I don't mind spending upto $250 but need to know what is best ones from anyones experience.
I am chaging the double sink vanity counter to granite so wanted to know what is best undermount sink Glacierbay, kohler, etc.

Old 12-19-14, 12:58 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Best is an ambiguous term as it can mean the best performing (i.e. flushing) or the best looking or lowest cost with acceptable performance or use the least amount of water and on and on.

While far from cheap the toilets made by Toto are consistently rated high in original workmanship, acceptable flush, low water consumption and even in appearance. One model that is very highly rated is the Toto Drake and the water saving model, the Eco-Drake. There are other manufacturers that also make good toilets but Glacier Bay (a Home Depot brand) is definitely NOT one of them. Kohler is, in my opinion, overpriced in many respects although they may have a decent toilet in their top of the line selections. American Standard's Champion 4 is often recommended here as well. Your upper limit of $250 dollars, however, is a bit low if you truly want the best.

Old 12-19-14, 04:55 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
We sell a variety of toilets in our store. People always ask me what is the best one. I consider this to be an unanswerable question. The best toilet (in terms of power flushing) is worthless if existing piping is old or corroded. On all testing of toilets the labs use ideal or controlled conditions and as a result they all pass. AM STD can take a bucket of golf balls, in the lab. Bet it can't in older homes.
BTW...Mansfield is the only US made toilet (if that means anything). Regardless of price or make, if a toilet works, it great, if not, well it's no good.

Old 12-19-14, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
From experience in changing from standard 5 gpf 14" tall toilets to better ones, the American Standard Champion 4 has proved to be a super replacement. 1.6 gpf, 17 1/2" ADA compliant height, a superior flush, gives it my approval. I have installed TOTO in other homes, and they are great as well, but no long term experience with them.

Old 12-19-14, 06:38 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Everyone. This is good.
@ Furd,
For my Budget I can go higher if its a good toilet. Mainly we are 7 people in bathroom and other guests like friends and families come frequently so sometimes we have 15 people using 2.5 bathroom. Usage of less water and once installed I want the toilet to be working for many years. My old one was there from gerber and worked great for 10 years since house was build. But I need new one better efficiency and performance using better technology. And looks like most suggested response is American standard and Toto.
@Norm21 - Mansfield - I will have to research and never knew that it was the only US made. Will look into that too. Any other suggestion for lot of usage and efficiency will be great.
@Chandler,
Thanks. I might lean towards American Standard Champion.

Old 12-19-14, 10:01 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Toto, while a Japanese company, has manufacturing plants all over the world. They have at least one, maybe two in the US. Toto has the most stringent quality control of any china-product manufacturer.

Mansfield uses a proprietary "flush tower" and getting replacement parts locally may be a problem if ever necessary. They also have some of the lowest rated toilets available. My sister's house had three Mansfields and they are/were junk in my opinion AND in the opinion of the professional plumber who replaced one of them with a Toto Drake. My sister prefers to use the Toto for solid wastes (trying to be delicate here) as the Mansfield's have a tendency to plug on her.

Old 12-19-14, 10:10 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
Its a well known fact that the Japanese are inovators of the modern toilet.

Old 12-19-14, 10:32 AM
P
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have installed 3 of the Champion 4 toilets in my home. I find on two of them that you have to hold the flush handle for just a second longer than epxected to get the full flush. no big deal but when you just flip the lever down with a more loaded bowl, you might find yourself wanting to flush a second time. not sure why I only see it on 2 of the 3.

- Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: