Shower window issue!

Old 12-19-14, 01:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower window issue!

I recently noticed some bad and loose tiles in my tub/shower. I am a pretty avid DIYer and started to demo everything once I came upon mold. After tearing everything out this is what I found. I'm wondering what is the best solution for this. Remove the window completely? Or make the window smaller and have it higher up? I'm assuming the leaking was from the window. Haven't taken down the siding to investigate yet. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  24.2 KBMy fiancÚ likes the natural light that comes in. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Old 12-19-14, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
Inside pictures aren't going to give us any idea as to what might have been done to cause it to leak. How about a picture of the outside (from way back) that shows the type of siding... and then maybe a closeup of the bottom corners of the window frame.

My guess is that the root cause is a lack of housewrap and flashing tape. And probably vinyl siding.

Old 12-19-14, 04:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You've found the #1 reason not to have a window in a shower. If you are not diligent about keeping on top of the caulking, you end up with water seeping behind the tile and festering until it is too late. Mix up a batch of bleach and water together in a spray bottle and saturate the area. Then wipe up and let dry out. Unless the wood is physically damaged, soft or rotten, you can probably re-use.

Will a tub be going back in or are you making a stand up shower only?

Old 12-19-14, 06:03 PM
J
Yes it has vinyl siding. Window is a regular casement window. I plan on putting a tub back in there with a shower. The ledge was tiled around previously and not pitched at all. Never maintained properly. I'm thinking of removing the window to be sure of no more problems.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  50.0 KB upper left window is where my bathroom issue is.

Last edited by Josher85; 12-19-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,646 Upvotes on 1,474 Posts
Ah, didn't know about the flat tile ledge that wasn't maintained. At first glance it appeared to be from exterior water but being in the shower, that would make more sense. Any caulking they would have done probably didn't stick to the vinyl window and cracked. There aren't many types of caulk that will stick to vinyl windows permanently... less so if it's not maintained.

If you did want to check the exterior of the sheathing around the window, all you would need to do is unzip the first seam underneath the window and lift the siding up to inspect- don't pull any nails. Use a Malco Sideswiper siding unlock tool. Unhooking the siding is very easy, but you definitely need the tool to get it hooked back up again. If there is housewrap, just cut a small inspection slit... if the exterior side of the sheathing looks better than the back side of the sheathing inside, the leak is surely from the shower.

The home will look a bit odd if that particular window is removed. A longer, higher glass block window wouldn't be a bad compromise, if it was kept centered on the old location. It would require a new, longer header obviously, but that wouldn't be much work at this point.

With a window in the shower like that, the best solution is to put up a separate shower curtain, or at least a piece of one, that deflects the water during use. I used to have a shower that had a WOOD window in it. I never had a problem with it once I changed the "curtains" to a vinyl shower curtain.

Old 12-19-14, 10:26 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
Hi Josh,
Installing a window in a shower/tub location is more than just installing a window, which is what they did with yours. Unfortunately my experience with this location is zero, but standard techniques and the pros on this site should provide a good solution.

Privacy doesn't look to be a big concern if window is kept high. Do you want just light or do you want it to open?

A new construction window would need to have the siding pulled back, not easy in cold weather. Not sure I would like a replacement window for this location as I would also want to see what the outside looks like. Do you have another shower so this can drag until spring?

You will need to select a window style, fixed, casement, awning, or other.

I agree with X that removing it would look a bit odd and if you have the time, this is a good project.

Bud

Old 12-21-14, 12:34 PM
J
Bud- no just light coming in. It does not have to open. I'm thinking of putting in a new window that's the same width. Basically just taking and having the upper 1/3 of the opening be a fixed window. I plan on taking off the siding ans reseda thing where the mold is then buttoning that all back up and move to the inside to start remodel. I do have another shower but want to get going on it.
X exactly what I did after I bought the house but before that no maintenance at all.
This is all great help!

Old 12-22-14, 05:26 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your window is upside on your bathroom then privacy is not concern and no need to add window shower. You can add standing shower in your bathroom instead of it.

Old 12-22-14, 07:46 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd reframe and install a transom window. Still have the light with none of the leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: