1922 Home bathroom remodel

Old 12-22-14, 08:58 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1922 Home bathroom remodel

I have a brick wall (uninsulated) exposed in the bathroom. I am replacing the tub and installing a wall surround. My plan is to paint the brick 2-3 layers for sealing, then put up plastic sheeting and furring strips. Next plan to put up blue board insulation boards, but unsure what to put up as the "innermost" wallboard. The tub surround will cover all down at level, but will probably just be painting above for now.

Any ideas on the best type of board to use. Also concerned about the weight of the installation board but will work with what I have to.

Thanks for any feedback,
D

Old 12-22-14, 09:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would skip the paint. Brick needs to breathe.

Old 12-22-14, 10:10 AM
D
Will the plastic sheeting, blue board insulation, and inner wallboard covered with surround low and paint high, be okay?

Two things: 1. Without painting the brick to help seal the moisture out, will there be mildew/mold issues. 2. Any ideas on what type of wall coverings are optional for the interior wallboard under the surround?

Old 12-22-14, 10:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Leaving the brick unpainted will allow moisture in the wall to evaporate to the outside. If you seal the brick you will have have two relatively impervious layers so you could (doubtful) have moisture condense between them. Basically you want the vapor barrier close to the source of the moisture and heat which is usually the inside of the house. Things outboard of the vapor barrier like your insulation and siding you want to allow water vapor to pass through so it can escape.

Blue or green board or other moisture resistant wall board is good. You can also use cement board or Hardie backer especially if you think you might tile at some point in the future.

Old 12-22-14, 10:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't use any paint at all. It was a chimney guy who told me never to paint brick. If moisture gets trapped behind the paint, it will eat away, at the brick. I used cement board between the studs & the surround. Moisture really shouldn't get passed the surround. If you are going to use plastic, put it on the studs not against the brick itself. Since you are doing a complete remodel, install 2 exhaust fans with lights, one in the shower & one in the center of the bathroom. Don't use cheap construction fans. You can hardly hear a good fan with high CFM rating.

I had converted a 3x5 half bath to a 9x6 handicapped accessible bathroom, for my father. There was no brick but that's how I did it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: