Kitchen Demo Help

Old 01-05-15, 12:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Demo Help

Hello,

My wife and I are starting the planning for a complete kitchen remodel and I plan on doing the demo work myself.

Just had a couple of questions regarding the demo that I was unsure of:
  • When shutting off the water when removing the sink is there a way to be able to turn it back on after? We'll still be living in the house during construction and want to ensure we still have water every where else
  • What is the best way to remove the plaster walls and ceilings along with the lathe?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Old 01-05-15, 12:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

1. Where are you having to turn off the water that you're concerned about the rest of the house when working in the kitchen?

2. Sledgehammer. Be sure to cut the junctions where you go to a surface you want to keep ahead of time to avoid damaging them as well.

Old 01-05-15, 12:47 PM
S
Well I know I can shut off the water supply lines underneath the cabinet but thought I needed to turn the main water line as well. If I can just shut off the water supply lines and leave the plumbing intact while I do the rest of the demo, I'll just do that.

Old 01-05-15, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Shutting off the water at the stop valves is sufficient, UNLESS the cabinet you are removing will not allow removal due to too small holes for the valves to pass through. THEN you will need to turn the house water off and after removal of the cabinet(s) cap the water lines. Turn the water back on and you can continue with life and the demo.

Old 01-05-15, 01:23 PM
S
Okay good to know. Thank you both.

I'm going to take another look to see if there are any intermediate shutoff valves just for the kitchen as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: