Schluter drain measurement

Old 01-04-15, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Schluter drain measurement

I have completely gutted my bath and am going to go with the Schluter shower pan option ( or something similar).

However I cannot find a rough in measurement for the offset drain in the online literature.
Wedi and the Durorock do not have the rough-in either.

Am I missing something or do you rough-in the drain just before the install of the pan? (32x60)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-15, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If you dig hard enough into the brochure, you will find toward the back the dimensions on the various pieces. For instance, on one offset shower system, it says centered 10" from the edge next to the picture. Or reference the actual piece if you have it in your possession.

http://www.schluter.com/media/shower...v=201501030601

BTW-for a lot less money, you can do a custom double sloped shower pan. Let us know if you are interested in guidance with regard to building it yourself.

Old 01-04-15, 10:41 AM
czizzi,
Thanks for reply, I don't know how I missed that, too much reading I guess.

I really haven't thought about doing my own shower pan......degree of difficulty??

Old 01-04-15, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure what your skill set is, but the attached link may at least get your creative juices flowing. It is a 5 part series, here is the link to part 1, other links found at the bottom of the pages as you read. Is probably about 90% correct in my book, I add a couple extra steps for good measure. Let us know what you think.

How to Create a Shower Floor – Part 1

Old 01-05-15, 07:53 AM
It does look like I could do that, but am concerned about the weight of the bed in 2nd floor.
Is there a formula for determining weight of the bed for a 32x60?
What is the 10% you consider not correct?

Old 01-05-15, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the 10% you consider not correct?
1-Add 2x10 blocking between the wall studs on base plate to support the shower pan
2-Corner reinforcements to waterproof the curb at the walls
3-Vapor barrier on walls behind cement boards
4-Install cement boards on walls before installing your final slope. It holds the cement boards in place so you don't drive nails or screws through the shower pan
5-Make sure there is plenty of wall framing lumber set at the curb area to support the weight of a heavy glass door should you decide to install one in the future.

Those are off the top of my head that I can recall. It is a relatively new link as our old reliable link went dead in November of last year. Happens when you lapse your payments for your domain name and website I guess. Thinking of doing one myself, but have to wait for my next bath remodel.

For a typical 3x4 shower, I will use in the neighborhood of 3 bags of bed mortar @ 50lbs each. Yours maybe 1 to 1 1/2 more. Your tile will weigh in at more than that. Make your floor a typical 1/2" ply with 3/4" advantech on top and it will be plenty strong.