Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?

Old 01-09-15, 08:23 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my first quote for building a stand up tile shower, roughly 30"x60" with 8' ceilings, in my second floor condo, pictured below. I'm either out of touch with what this should cost, or this is too good to be true. As it says, it does not include plumbing or drywall work, but I figured the build and tile work would be more. Total for the pre-fab pan option and floor tile is around $2000, with the mud pan being $1000 more.

How does this sound do you? Does a mud pan offer any benefit over a pre-fab pan?

Name:  bathroom.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  bathroom-quote.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 01-09-15, 11:46 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the premade showerpan is going to have a "lip" around all four edges that will have to be tiled over, correct? I think that's the only drawback. Price seems like a bargain, but I'm not sure if that's cause for concern or not - you need to check pictures and references of other jobs.

Like you said, this bid doesn't include any drywall work or plumbing. It also doesn't include a waterproof shower membrane, and the most expensive thing you don't have here is glass. Are you going with a frameless glass door or just a curtain?

Old 01-09-15, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing that will need changing is the 1 1/2" drain for the former tub. It must be 2" back to the main drain pipe. Of course moving the plumbing up to shower height and eliminating the tub spout plumbing.

It looks to be too good a deal without reference jobs. He mentions "drywall", so hopefully he is planning on cbu on the walls for the tile installation, instead of drywall. Just too many "bargains" for me to grasp it.

Old 01-09-15, 03:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I think that the plumbing adjustments will need to be estimated or quoted before you can pass judgement on this bid. Going from 1 1/2" on the tub to 2" for a stand alone shower should have been noted at some point in the process. The true cost will not materialize until you have had a chance for all subs to enter numbers. It also appears that he calls out your prices on shower trim, diverters and rain heads, but not necessarily the installation of said material.

Old 01-09-15, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Total for the pre-fab pan option and floor tile is around $2000, with the mud pan being $1000 more.
Seems steep to me , maybe... Whats total sq ft??

IDK plumbing I would say 2400 on high end. This is all cause its not turn key and two contactors need to work together,

They don't tell you plumber has to set strainer... And if not coordinated they may charge extra to come back...

Also same with diverter and finish work. Thats why they post the trim... Probably cause the plumber aint coming back...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: