Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Granite vanity: top back and side splash question

Granite vanity: top back and side splash question

Old 01-30-15, 06:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My granite supplier does measurements by making an actual template of the counter top. Especially if it is of odd size and shape. They take wood slats and hot glue them to each other to form a frame that is the exact same size as the top footprint of the cabinet. Then with Sharpies, they mark various highlights that are to be incorporated. Such as this side up, back wall, add 1" overhang (or your desired overhangs), Center Point of sink cut out, etc. Then there is absolutely no way for a mistake on a drawing that may be subject to interpretation. My only concern for you is you get one chance to communicate correctly to someone you really don't know very well. He will blame you for any errors in measurements and you will be stuck with whatever he cuts. So take the guess work out of it as best as possible. Have a discussion with him and see if this is a better way to proceed. They also cut the back splash to size in the field. Do you have access to a wet saw that can accomplish that? If not, have them make the splash to go from extreme corner to the start of the radius on the overhang. And the side splash to be the same (to the start of the radius) less the thickness of the backsplash.

Old 01-30-15, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're going through this quite a bit. Here's what I advise:

Get the cabinets set and secured to walls. This is key. Cabinets must be level and flat. Use a level across back side and front side and ensure there are no significant dips or high spots.

Ensure cabinets are flat across fronts (face frames). You need the cabinet run to be parallel with back wall. Take into account the bump in wall. This is so when counter is installed, you have a consistent overhang at front. (1")

Once cabinets are level, square to wall and secured, post back and I will make you a drawing for counter. All you need to provide is the following:

Centerlines of sinks, measurements taken from right wall.
Depth of cabinets, front of face frame to back wall.
Width of cabinets, measure front of face frame from right wall to left edge.

We can address sink front to back centerline later, that's tricky.

The 3cm you are ordering is heavy, be prepared. It's probably heavier than you think.

The splashes, as Czizzi said, are usually cut on site. There are too many variations in walls to decide an exact length ahead of time. Ask your supplier if you can install counter and then come back for splashes once you take an accurate measurement.

Old 01-30-15, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention sink choice. I would go with the smaller sink.
The larger sink has the drain hole towards back. Unless you are experienced in plumbing, this is going to cause you trouble. It will make it hard to align trap and pop up assembly.
The smaller sink has drain hole at center. This will be easier for you to plumb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: