Need input on double vanity design

Old 02-06-15, 10:16 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need input on double vanity design

We have a 90 inch wide space to fill with a custom built-in vanity. We want a lot of drawers, but also a more open upper centered tower. I'd like the tower to rest on top of a solid, continuous granite countertop.

Here was my first design. The center stack is 16 inches wide. The "drawer" below the sink is just a decorative fixed panel. The thing I'm not sure about is that the sinks are centered over the cabinets, which results in the sinks being scrunched up against the tower, which means the sinks won't be centered under the wall mirrors.

Name:  Vanity 2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  46.6 KB

So, here is my second design. This time I've centered the sinks in the spaces to left and right of the tower, but this means I lengthen the fixed panels beneath the sinks and they're not centered above the cabinets.

Name:  Vanity 1.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  43.2 KB

Which do you prefer? Or would you do something different?

Old 02-07-15, 05:04 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
IMHO, putting that shelf on the vanity seems a bit odd. Normally you put a full width mirror or combo med cab/mirror on the wall. To answer your question I like your second design better. More balance look. If you're going with the shelf it would better with doors on it as opposed to an open shelf.

Old 02-07-15, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
IMO if the shelving sticks out more than 6"-8" it would be in the way or at least feel like it's taking up too much room. I also prefer the 2nd option over the 1st.

Old 02-07-15, 06:46 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks cluttered to me with that thing sitting on top of the counters.
Going to look even worst when junk gets put in it.

Old 02-07-15, 07:18 AM
The sinks should be centered over vanity false front/lower doors, as in design 1.
Also notice in design 1, the false front matches lower door width, and allows one additional drawer at either end. This looks much better IMO.
I would abandon the tower. It will not look good IMO and be subjected to damage from water.

I would consider replacing tower with a few floating shelves between mirrors.
I would also consider changing the two outside 4-drawer cabinets with 3-drawer cabinets.

Towers look nice, but should be a tall cabinet. You don't have room for a tall cabinet.

Old 02-07-15, 07:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the sinks weren't centered over the doors in option 2
The sink looks best centered but the upper shelving unit crowds the sink in option 1. Did I mention I don't care for the shelves sticking out that far

Old 02-07-15, 08:49 AM
M
Thank you all for the advice. Had no idea the tower would be the issue!

These are actually becoming pretty common, and it will certainly look a bit more refined than the drawing (crown moulding at top etc.). It's supposed to look "spa like" - a place where you put rolled towels, a small flower vase, picture frame, soaps, etc.

We're doing two separate hanging mirrors - full length mounted mirrors look decidedly builders grade.

However I agree that at least a portion of the tower should have doors. Probably the upper portion, because I want the granite at the bottom to be visible (we'll be going fairly exotic).

The shelving unit only comes out 14 inches, or a little more than half the depth of the 22 inch counter. I will probably knock that back to 12.

Any other ideas on the lower cabinets?

Old 02-07-15, 08:52 AM
M
Also floating shelves are a good idea (cheaper too) but not sure if I can sell my wife on it. She wants a tower.

Old 02-07-15, 10:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally upper cabinets are only 12" deep but IMO that's a bit overpowering for the space.

Old 02-07-15, 10:35 AM
M
I vote for floating shelves (spa supplies ok on them, and pretties), and for three-drawer stacks instead of four.

Old 02-07-15, 11:08 AM
Just a few other thoughts.
The 4-drawer banks have pretty shallow drawers, with the exception of bottom drawer. I would avoid them.
The sink false fronts can have tip-out trays installed. Trays come in handy for small items.

And the tower. Maybe it could be suspended above counter. I'm not sure how it would look, I haven't seen this in 15+ years of remodeling. I think it would make little difference in the appearance, but do a lot to increase usable counter space and prevent water from wicking into it.

Old 02-07-15, 11:30 AM
M
Thank you all very much. I agree in the 3 vs 4 for the bottoms, and I'll see what I can do about that tower. A floating cabinet or shelves will probably look better if I can get the Chief Designer's approval.

Old 02-07-15, 12:01 PM
My idea is to wall mount the tower so the bottom is above backsplash. You're not losing any shelf area. I would also try to keep bottom shelf of tower above counter as high as practical, 13"?

The sides of tower could still extend down to a little above splash, with maybe a cove cut leading up to bottom shelf. Best of both worlds IMO.

Old 02-07-15, 12:26 PM
M
Yup, that's what I'm thinking too. I'll sketch it out and see what she thinks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: