crack in fiberglass tub

Old 03-26-01, 05:44 AM
AmyC65
Visiting Guest
3 month in the newly built house, we find 2 hairline cracks at the foot-end of the fiberglass "garden tub". one is about 1" the other is about 4", on the rounded part of the floor, on the side. I don't have a problem fixing it, but should I be concerned that there's improper support underneath? Are cracks this early normal or not? and is there any way to tell if it's superficial or goes through? The tub is tiled in and on the 2nd floor, so there's no way to get at it from underneath.

Old 03-26-01, 06:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Do you have a "new home" warranty?
You shouldn't be having hairline cracks in a new tub. Check with your builder.
As for repairing it, if you don't have a warranty, you can use appliance touchup liquid to seal the hairline cracks.
It comes in a small bottle with a cap brush similar to nail polish. It primarily is used to touchup white enamel appliance chips, and dries very hard.
Make sure that the cracks are clean and dry (I use a hairdryer for this), brush on a coat over the crack, and allow to dry overnight.
Clean up the edges with a Q-tip and acetone (nail polish remover) while still wet from the application. Use two coats, if necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: