Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Adding a bar height countertop to kitchen island

Old 02-13-15, 10:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I currently have a kitchen island that is at regular counter height. I would like to add an L-shaped bar height countertop around the outside of the existing island. I am looking to frame the walls for the L-shaped. Then to finish we'll add door panels and corbels to support the countertop. Should I frame the L wall using 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 lumber? I'm leaning toward 2x6 to give the wall more depth but looking for opinions.

Old 02-13-15, 10:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I would think 2x4 is more than sufficient but how it looks is entirely up to you so go 2x6 if you want.

Old 02-13-15, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This totally depends on weight of counter material and your desired overhang.
For example, if you use granite and want a 10" overhang, provisions will need to be made for that. You need serious corbels or rods laid down.

Old 02-13-15, 05:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What is the intended width of the stone on the overhang? What are the overall dimensions of the island and the "L" extension you are adding. What is the step up from normal counter height for the bar area. What will be the overhang on the island side of the bar?

Old 02-14-15, 07:05 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The current island is 24" x 63" and is 34 1/2" high. The height of the L shaped counter will be 40 1/2" plus the 1 1/2 " countertop. The L wilbsimply go on the outside of the island and were looking to have a countertop that can be used for casual dining. We're not sure of exact width but I'm thinking 18" wide with a 1 1/2" overhand on the island side and 12" overhang on the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: