What to use to cap this stone tile?

Old 02-20-15, 05:21 AM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to use to cap this stone tile?

I plan on using this tile: MS International Golden Honey Ledger Panel 6 in. x 24 in. Natural Quartzite Wall Tile (6 sq. ft. / case)-LPNLQGLDHON624 - The Home Depot in my shower walls. One side is going to end at a wall which will be painted. What should I use to cp or end the tile to transition into the painted wall w/o looking unfinished?

Old 02-20-15, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh, goodness, you aren't going to use this in a shower, are you? If you do, be sure to Red Gard the walls completely. I would end it with a flush cut or a metal tile ending band. This is just an example: Schluter Rondec 3/8 in. x 8 ft. 2 in. Satin Nickel Anodized Aluminum Bullnose Tile Edge Protection Trim-RO100AT - The Home Depot

I have installed it in a kitchen as a backsplash, but advised against it there, too, due to grease splatter problems. Customer was always right....sometimes.

Name:  Guthrie backsplash 4a.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  18.1 KB

Old 02-20-15, 05:42 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a great choice, I agree for a shower.
Even a simple cleaning job will be a nightmare.

Old 02-20-15, 05:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Soap scum is hard enough to clean out of a smooth shower, let alone all the nooks and crannies of this stone wall, it also it set as a dry stack without any grout. Water will get behind it and sit, it will never dry out. An accent wall in the foyer, yes - around the fireplace hearth in the family room, nice - as a shower wall, nightmare. I have installed this very stone on a front facade of a house going up 2 stories, its is beautiful, but not in a functional shower - you will regret it in short order

Old 02-20-15, 01:16 PM
X
Thanks for the insight. What a shame I had it all planned out. I have seen it on houzz with it in the shower and it looks awesome but now with the maintenance I might do the opposite and use it outside the shower area then something different in the shower area. People say you spray the tile once a year and its protected. But the nooks and crannies will be an issue.

Old 02-20-15, 01:19 PM
X
Old 02-20-15, 01:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The smoother the finish the easier it is to maintain. I would recommend that you plan for at least a small grout line in between pieces to be able to seal at least some of the moisture from getting behind the tiles. Natural stone as well as tumbled stones often are full of little pin holes. All places to catch dirt and or residue in the shower. You will seal everything once installation is complete, but sealing is not a cure all for regular cleaning and maintenance. Your second choice was better than your first, but still higher maintenance than a glazed wall tile.

If you are looking for interest, you can mix up different textures and integrate glass mosaic. The last 2 showers I did had 6x6 tile set square on the bottom half, a stripe of decorative glass, and then the 6x6 tiles on the 45 degree above that - one going all the way to the ceiling

Many find that the parade of homes are put together for show, not necessarily practicality. It is a chance for designers to show off. However, rarely do these people have to live with their creations.

Old 02-20-15, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind, too, the travertine tile you showed in post #6 was flat. Your original tile was end grain all the way, and would soak up anything that hit it, whether it be water, shampoo, soap, body oils, conditioner. Houzz is a dream boat for people to look at. Much of their showings are impractical, but very nice to look at. As Z said, it is for designers to show off their wares. They sell it to you, put the money in the bank and are out the door. You're not.

Old 04-16-15, 07:58 PM
X
Corners, Edges, for Travertine shampoo boxes, around window?

I am trying to find what to use for Claros Silver Travertine to go around a shampoo box and around a window. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-17-15, 04:34 AM
If you are talking about trimming it out, then only bullnose tile of the same style will work. You could possibly use a complimentary color/style bullnose if the style you are using is not available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: