Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Installed granite, but underlayment was not perfectly level

Old 02-20-15, 06:24 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

So I got a great deal on a granite countertop and jumped on it. Its a standard vanity size, 31x22, 3cm thick. I talked with the place it was originally purchased from and they said that an underlayment was not necessary, but would provide additional support. So I figured I'd install one since it can't hurt (and I'm planning on hiding it anyways with some moulding).

My problem: I put down the countertop and afterwards noticed a "gap" in the front between the counter and underlayment. The gap is a hair under 1/8" (see attached pics).

What do I need to do? Can I simply insert a shim? Do I need to remove the entire countertop and re-level the plywood? Or is this ok since it's a thicker (3cm) slab?

Thanks!!!

Name:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0501.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0503.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 02-20-15, 06:33 AM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
In my opinion I don't think it's that big a deal. You could just leave it or caulk it. as DIY's we tend to be too critical of our work and see every little imperfection. I bet if installed professionally they would not address it and you or others would not be concerned or even notice.

Old 02-20-15, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it the underlayment or the granite? Did you silicone the granite in place? Can you remove the vanity top? Lessons learned. No underlayment necessary on a small piece like that, but no harm done. You can shim it in several places, using the entire shim until it bottoms out, then cut it off flush with your underlayment, and trim it. Without the underlayment, you would not need any trim.

Old 02-20-15, 06:41 AM
S
It's the underlayment, I just checked and the granite is straight. It's also only in the front of the vanity, all 3 other sides are sitting flush with the underlayment. I did silicone the granite in place. I may go pick up some 1/8 shims to help support it, just in case.

I'm learning lots of lessons with this little project. My first countertop, if you guys couldn't tell.

Old 02-20-15, 06:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you did it yourself. It's not like you will be walking on it, so hopefully the shims will give the needed stability. Keep in mind, if someone does stand on it, you will have the possibility of it cracking without shims.

Old 02-20-15, 06:55 AM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
On any granite counter top it is advised to never stand on it or kneel on the edge.

Old 02-20-15, 08:20 AM
If it wasn't secured already, I would say remove top and remove underlayment. Underlayment isn't required or desired when using 3cm.

But you're OK. Just shim it as stated above. Also caulk the front edge before installing your scribe molding.

A tip for next time: Use a level and thin flat shims, hot glue the shims where it looks like they're needed before laying down counter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: