Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Existing bathroom photos with some ideas for redo?

Old 02-23-15, 01:07 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I attached some ideas and photos of my current looking bathrooms as well as ideas for the til for the showers and walls. This is the best way I can get the stone look without using actually natural porous stone. The blue bathroom will turn into the stone and the tan bathroom will turn into marble. Issue is with adding a shower door in place of curtains. The room with the tub we use for the babys bath and a shower door will make it harder. The bedroom bathroom we can't put a shower door since it is too tight near the sink. We might move the sink across the room. To me its sad to cover beautiful work with a curtain.

Name:  bath1.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  40.3 KBName:  main.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  41.9 KBName:  bedbathshower.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  20.6 KBName:  bedbath.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  16.4 KBName:  maincurrent1.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  30.6 KBName:  maincurrent.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  28.5 KB

Last edited by xxnonamexx; 02-23-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 02:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What are the dimensions of the shower stall? and what is located in the wall to the left of the shower stall? Your marble will need a much stiffer set up as far as the floor prep goes.

Give us a little more infor about how far the stone stone/tile goes up the wall and around the room.

Old 02-24-15, 06:32 AM
X
The shower stall is 3x3x7 I cannot make it larger since it will interfere with closets. The floor isn't getting the marble. The marble is going in the shower walls, The pebbles are going on shower floor, The subway tiles on the walls and darker grey tiles on floor.

Old 02-24-15, 07:05 AM
You can certainly work with different styles of vanities to accommodate the tight spaces you have. Here is a picture of a vanity I just installed that is plenty big enough yet would allow you to install a shower door.
Name:  palermocabinet.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  27.7 KB

It also has a matching over the toilet cabinet. The sides are only 12" deep and I recall it being 25" wide. But should provide better clearance for you to install your door.

I would also demo the ceiling of the shower, remove the false ceiling, raise you shower head and give yourself more room to breath. You will feel less like you are in a closet when you are showering. You can tale the tile all the way to the ceiling if you like.

You also need to figure out how you will transition from shower tile to wall tile with two different types and styles of tile.

Old 02-24-15, 07:19 AM
Moving on to your blue bathroom. Natural stone in a shower is going to be a nightmare to keep clean. Lots of places for soap scum to adhere to. Yes they look awesome, but usually they are the result of a designer trying to hotdog it a little for a parade of homes or something.

Save yourself some money, if you haven't already thought about it, and have your blue tub re-glazed to white. Should cost less than $400. When interviewing re-glazing companies, make sure they follow these steps. 1 -Acid etch 2 - prime 3 - add non-slip to bottom of floor and 4 - spray on the finish coat. If they skip either of the first two, your re-glaze will fail.

Old 02-24-15, 08:21 PM
X
We were also thinking of moving the sink to the opposite side since the plumbing is easy access underneath since its open. We were thinking of a seamless shower door.

The tile will go to the ceiling as it already is now. Will the removal of the ceiling make much of a difference? We were thinking of the rain shower head.

The shower will have the marble tile. The outside will have the subway tiles shown in the photos which should make a nice transition.

Old 02-25-15, 05:25 AM
Removal of the ceiling will make a huge difference in my opinion. You want a little distance between you and the rain head. I would also recommend that you look into a multi-function diverter and incorporate a hand held shower arm on a slide bar along with a rain head out of the ceiling. You can switch between the two or use both at the same time. You get the benefit of a conventional shower along with the novelty of the rainhead. The handheld also comes in handy for other shower duties such as shaving. Work several round corner shelves into your design to eliminate your basket with all your soaps in it. I like a 6 of 7 inch radius on a quarter round circle installed in the corner. You should have no trouble finding them in marble. 3 or 4 down the back corner of the shower evenly spaced. Have the lowest one set to a convenient level for use as a leg perch for shaving.

Old 02-27-15, 07:54 AM
X
Thanks I think we will remove the ceiling. We might move the sink across the way and a possible corner vanity.

Old 02-27-15, 08:40 AM
If you move the vanity to the other side of the room, you have an opportunity to expand on the size of your shower as well. Can you give me the full dimensions of the room? Is it square except for the 3x3 shower bump out? Also, where is the door located? does it swing in or out?

Old 03-03-15, 10:53 AM
X
Thanks we are going to remove the soffit in the shower and have new ideas in the shower tile etc. We are getting estimates so we will see who wins teh job lol.

Old 03-12-15, 04:45 AM
X
What do you recommend for a shower floor?

What do you recommend for shower floor tile? We are going with a marble look outside the shower and was wondering what you recommend for the shower floor? Thanks

Old 03-12-15, 06:55 AM
No need to start a new thread with every question. For continuity of those reading and trying to follow, I have merged your new thread to your original that has all the pictures of the tiles you are considering.

What type of shower system are you planning on installing? Traditional custom build mud bed? Kerdi? Linear Drain? Has a bearing on what type of flooring you can use.

Old 03-12-15, 09:10 AM
X
Custom mud shower. I was thinking of honed hex marble tiles for floor shower what do you think is best material for the shower floor?

Old 03-12-15, 05:01 PM
I haven't worked with a lot of marble, but natural stone needs a substructure about 2 times as stiff as ceramic or porcelain tile. There also are issue with marble in showers that some time researching may change your mind about using natural stone and look into getting a quality stone appearance type porcelain. Don't shop at the box stores, shop at tile shops and visit many as not all carry the same things. This is just a google search of marble shower issues - https://www.google.com/search?q=marb...utf-8&oe=utf-8

With a custom mud shower, you are going to want to stay with smaller tiles in the 2"x2" range max. Any larger, you need to check with your contractor if it will work in your size shower.

Old 03-13-15, 07:39 AM
X
I think its actually marble look not actually marble stone tile that I am using.
Well Lowes has a nice tile inexpensive for 1 bathroom the other bathroom we went to tile shop and am going to order online the same tile for half price.

Old 03-13-15, 04:43 PM
Tile is very heavy, ordering on line? Make sure you are not upside down once you add shipping costs. I don't think that they will ship tile by UPS, USPS, of FexEx. It may come by common carrier as LTL and you need to be present to recieve and take it off the truck yourself. If it is such a great deal, talk to the tile shop, they may help you on the price. You get nothing if you don't ask for it.

Old 03-13-15, 06:03 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Natural stone tiles in wet areas are liable to be a maintenance problem. Some pebble tiles can actually feel uncomfortable to the feet when used for shower floors. I'm sure the Carrara wall tiles blends well with those pebbles, but experience tells us they're not good choices for a shower. Are the grey floor tiles regular ceramic or are they rated for floors, such as porcelain?

Can't tell if the tiles for the current blue room are stone or porcelain, do you know? Same story for the stone on the wet walls. What's the plan for the floor tiles in this room? I see wood look porcelain planks and Versailles pattern travertine (?). Natural stone on floors requires a very stiff floor. Is the subfloor wooden or a slab?

Be sure to find out specifically how the installations are going to be done. Especially how the shower will be waterproofed. Take good notes and check back.

Jaz

Old 03-15-15, 04:31 PM
X
Travertine on the shower walls in blue bathroom. This bathroom is never used but as my 6 month old daughter gets older this will be her shower. I will have the tile sealed. The existing tiles are ceramic. The floors in both are going to be porcelain wood look. The pink/tan bathroom we are going with porcelain and glass mosaic and negating the pebble tiles.

Old 03-16-15, 07:25 AM
X
For glass mosaics if I have a outer corner wall how do you make the glass mosaic turn the corner?

Old 03-16-15, 02:44 PM
You can either stop the mosaic short and turn the corner with your bullnose tile like the rest of the wall, or you weave the corner a brick wall and custom cut everything. Problem with option 2 is that you have is turning with bullnose above and below it, which is not a square corner, and your mosaic which will create a square corner.

Old 03-31-15, 12:42 PM
X
Thanks the bathrooms remodel begin next week. I will post before and afters

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: