Fastening a bracket to tile without drilling

Old 02-26-15, 09:07 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fastening a bracket to tile without drilling

I have a metal shower head holder that holds a hosed shower head. How can I affix it to the tile in my shower? I tried using this Loctite sealant that comes in a tube and let it dry for a couple days...the shower head fell off after using it for a day. Drilling into the tile is not an option.

Thanks.

This is what the shower head holder looks like:

Name:  31ycnBquUUL.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  9.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-26-15 at 09:59 AM. Reason: inserted pic
Old 02-26-15, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will need to copy and paste the entire URL for us to click on it. But screwing it to the tile is probably the most secure method. We'll wait on the URL.

Old 02-26-15, 09:51 AM
I
Sorry I'm on my phone so it messed up. This is it though:

Silver Tone Aluminum Rotatable Holder Stand for 23mm Dia Shower Head:Amazon:Home Improvement

Thanks

Old 02-26-15, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
I put the picture in your first post.

Not even one screw ? That would do the trick

You're going to need to use an adhesive. I'm thinking Goop.
The bracket and the tile must be cleaned with a product like lighter fluid. It must be something that leaves no residue. Alcohol won't work.

The glue would hold the bracket to the wall and one fastener would support the weight.

Old 02-26-15, 10:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you are not willing to drill in to the shower, I would suggest returning what you have and getting a handheld shower arm mount that goes on the shower arm itself. They come in many finishes, this one just happens to be plastic.

DANCO Shower Arm Mount in White-89177 - The Home Depot

I've seen some fairly aggressive adhesives used to hold carpet tack strips to concrete, but would probably be tough for you to find. Search your local listings for carpet supply stores. Will probably be located in an industrial complex. The product you would search for is call Chemrex CX-948.

Old 02-26-15, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I had something similar at my last house, though it was a fiberglass surround not tile. Still didn't want to drill into it.

This was when my stepson lived with us when he was younger (6-7). The regular showerhead on the hose was way too high so I bought a holder similar to that pictured and secured it with double sided trim tape as well as a bead of silicone around the perimeter. Both surfaces have to be super clean, no soap scum, mineral buildup, etc. Doesn't hurt to slightly warm the surfaces with a hair dryer. Apply the tape to the bracket fully covering the back, leaving approx 1/8"-1/4" clear around the edges. Put a heavy bead of clear silicone in the open area (Don't get any on the tape), then firmly press in the desired location and hold for at least a few minutes.

You can't use it for at least a day, to let the silicone set up and the tape complete it's bond.

The tape is used on cars for emblems, trim, and moldings. Unaffected by water or temps. A car body in the sun can get a lot hotter than the water in a shower.

It did fine til he left a few years later and it took a good bit of work to remove it.

Old 02-26-15, 10:52 AM
I
I'm thinking from all this that I didn't clean the area very well. I pretty much just wiped it with a towel.

Thanks all for the excellent help!

Old 02-26-15, 02:34 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Do what Czizzi says. But you can also get a suction cup holder type shower holder. I use one and it works very well. Tile must be very clean as does the suction cup. Holds for months before it needs to be re-attached.

Old 02-26-15, 03:44 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I have installed them for others before, so in preparation for my wife's hip replacements this past fall, I installed one like czizzi showed in one of our bathrooms, and it works real well. In fact now that she's getting around good, I asked a couple of weeks ago if she wanted me to put it back to the way it was, just the shower head, and she said that she wanted it left as is. Have also installed the suction ones, and, as Norm said, they hold for quite a long time before having to reattach them. And, when they do come undone, it's not anything that is going to hurt anyone, so you dry it, I usually like to wipe the area with alcohol, and reattach it.

Old 02-26-15, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
All depends on the tile with the suction cups. At the house we moved to here, the tiles had sort of a dimpled (?) finish and suction cups were pretty useless.

Old 02-26-15, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you are dead set on using that bracket and you don't care about having epoxy on the tile permanently, you could use PC11 2 part epoxy. You would need to mix the 2 part epoxy, butter the back of your mount with a heavy layer, then adhere it to the tile. Clean what gushes out with acetone, leaving a tooled bead around the perimeter. It's probably thick enough that you wouldn't need to tape it to the tile.

Then don't even touch it to see if it's dry for 24 hrs.

Taking it off will probably ruin the tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: