Riverstone, Pebble rock tile in shower?

Old 03-07-15, 07:16 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Riverstone, Pebble rock tile in shower?

What is your take on putting pebble stone tile in the shower area? MS International Black/White Pebbles 12 in. x 12 in. x 10 mm Marble Mesh-Mounted Mosaic Tile-THDW1-SH-PEB - The Home Depot or flat Jeffrey Court Carrera River Rocks 12 in. x 12 in. x 8 mm Marble Mosaic Wall Tile-99054 - The Home Depot should I just go with a mosaic on the shower floor and use this on the floor outside of the shower?

Old 03-07-15, 07:57 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's been discussed here a few times.
Most agree it's a bad idea.
Feels horrible on the feet, near impossible to clean, far harder to grout.

Old 03-07-15, 09:56 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've only installed one river rock shower floor, and I didn't charge enough. Was a pain in the whatoosie. While they claim to come in on mesh sheets, 50% of them fall off before you get them installed. The mesh was so thick that the thinset couldn't squeeze through to get a hold of the rocks to hold them in place. For 3 days, I had to wiggle every rock to make sure it was stuck as about 1/3rd of them did not grab in the initial placement. Kept finding loose stones which had to be pulled, the mesh cut from the floor and some of the thinset scraped away. I would have much preferred, believe it or not, to have been handed a pile of loose rocks than put that puzzle back together from what fell off. Then you have to deal with big stones and the drain - lot of intricate cuts. Figure out how to handle the perimeter stone - cut or leave big voids. And Lastly, grouting was awkward and messy. But in the end, the customer was happy, as the installer, I wasn't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: