Are drop in/platform bathtubs a bad idea?

Old 03-10-15, 07:57 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are drop in/platform bathtubs a bad idea?

Hey,

So we are remodeling our bathroom due to a leak in our shower. We have a walk in shower and a drop-in/platform tub right now. Our contractor is trying to persuade us to do a stand alone tub or just a regular fixed tub where you have one finished side of the tub exposed. He said that platform/drop-in tubs are not ideal because they are hard to work on if you ever get a leak. We like the look of platform tubs and like that extra space around it to set things on. So my question is are drop-in/platform tubs really not a good idea?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-15, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I don't have anything against drop in tubs. It's the jetted/bubbling ones I can't stand. But, a leak under a tub or with it's faucet is a bugger regardless of type.

Old 03-10-15, 10:09 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There far harder to install because they require some framing, and more prone to leaks under the flanges.
If there's a shower involved forget it.

Old 03-10-15, 11:40 AM
G
The shower is actually separate from the bath so that's not an issue. We're just conflicted on what to do. I feel like if they do a good job on a platform tub then leaks shouldn't be an issue but I guess anything can happen and I understand that they can't really guarantee that it won't.

Old 03-10-15, 01:39 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Nothing wrong with a drop in tub if a shower is not affixed to it in any way. You merely need to keep on top of the caulking around the edge of the tub. Make sure that it is caulk, and not grout at that transition. I think it is a matter of ease of installation that the contractor is pushing you toward a more traditional look.