Travertine sealers? Grout?

Old 03-15-15, 04:28 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travertine sealers? Grout?

Is there a particular travertine sealer I should purchase? Also is there a preferred type of grout that I should purchase? This is for bathrooms

Old 03-18-15, 02:01 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet you think a sealer will "seal" the grout and stone from moisture.

Jaz

Old 03-21-15, 04:19 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I use then? People said you must seal the travertine stone that is in the shower to help prevent moisture.

Old 03-22-15, 06:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think what Jaz is trying to say is that like your previous choices of Marble in a shower, Travertine is also a highly pourous, high maintenance material that will prove to be labor intensive down the road. Research will show that regular sealing of the stone will be an ongoing issue. Many cleaning products will adversely etch the stone and it is full of holes to hold moisture in. He doesn't want you to get a warm and fuzzy that says, "all I have to do is seal and everything will be OK".

Old 03-22-15, 01:05 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several coats of good sealer will help if you decide to go down that road. But, sealer does not keep moisture out of the tile plus it can get in through the grout and any hairline cracks that may develop. Sealers are made to allow water to pass through them on purpose. It's impossible to keep water out of the tile assembly, so it has to evaporate through the grout, but with natural stone it has to go out of the stone too. Otherwise the sealer would peel.

So all you get with sealer is more time to clean up spills and less stains, but you will not eliminate either. It's tempting to use natural stone in areas where it does not perform well, it's looks so, so, well, so natural.

Let me remind you that the method of installation and especially how a shower is waterproofed is the most important part of this job. We haven't talked much about that, but I recommend we do so.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: