Want cabinet to go to ceiling

Old 03-19-15, 03:34 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want cabinet to go to ceiling

I have an L shaped kitchen (11(A) x 11(B)). On the A side I can go all the way to ceiling-95 in.On the B side I can only go about 90 in.I have slated ceiling on all out side walls. I went to look at the attic and the ceiling joist connects to the roof joist about 1 foot from where the roof joist rest connects to side of building(hope I made my self clear). I only have a problem with 3 wall cab. in the corner of the L.
This is the big question.In order for the wall cab to be the same height I would have to CUT the back and top of the new cab to fit. I figure it would have to cut into the top of the cab about 5 in. I would reenforce the top that I cut.Would I be able to do this with out destroying the cab? Would the cab hold of over time?

Old 03-19-15, 03:38 PM
W
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Cabinets

We do not know how your cabinets are built.

Would you be cutting away a mounting rail near the top on the back of the cabinet?

Old 03-19-15, 04:03 PM
B
Not really sure.I do not know how low from top this mounting rail usually is. Might be using Kraft Maid or some thing like that brand.
We have a softie (extends out about 1 ft and goes up 1 ft) in the kitchen for the last 30 years and want to get ride of it.So we figured to have cab go up to ceiling. Maybe even get a little more cab room(stuff you use once a year). Just trying to figure out if any thing is possible.

Old 03-19-15, 04:09 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
No one here can see what your seeing without a picture.
Just going to get a bunch of guesses with out one.

Old 03-20-15, 12:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Posting a picture or two would be a big help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-20-15, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Provided care is used it shouldn't be a big deal to cut and rebuild the cabinet. You have to replace the framework that is removed. Are you sure the soffit is just decorative? sometimes they house electrical, HVAC and/or plumbing.

Old 03-20-15, 10:39 AM
I have altered or reconfigured cabinets many times in order to get things to work.

I assume you want to cut the sides only (and back), not the face frames. This is very doable. I would say go ahead and order the cabinets. Post back when it's time to cut and reinforce, etc.

Your problem will not be in cutting the cabinet, it will be with any molding you want along the cabinet tops, especially crown molding.

If you are hanging 42" H uppers along one wall, you may want to hang 36" high cabinets on other wall. This wouldn't be my first choice, but you do have options here.

Old 03-20-15, 04:28 PM
B
I have attached 2 pictures.Yes I would only be cutting the back and sides of cab. So I do not believe I would have any trouble with the front.The side (to window) will not be a bother either, because I will drop down a few inches below cuts and put light a few inches on top of window.
I have removed light all ready there and there are no electrical or any thing else in the area.
The size would probably be the 42 in on wall.
Now I just have to find installer that will alter the cab a little.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: