Kitchen Remodel - Replacing Drywall

Old 03-20-15, 11:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Remodel - Replacing Drywall

We just finished with removing the kitchen cabinets, countertop, etc. When we removed the cabinets, the drywall was in pretty good shape, but we did end up making some holes from pulling the cabinets off the wall. We also opened up enough of the drywall to move the drain pipe and add electrical outlets and new wiring. And the original backsplash was a laminate backsplash, but came off in a single pull, without too much damage to the drywall.

If the drywall is in good shape, is it necessary to replace it all? The electricians and plumber have already finished their job and made a few openings, but we figure we can patch all that up. But the electrician made a comment to us saying we should replace the drywall behind the backsplash because we can't install tile on drywall and that it would just fall off.

I've read that as long as the surface is roughed up (which it is from the laminate backsplash), we can install tile. We're using ceramic subway tile for the backsplash. Should we replace the drywall or just patch up the holes? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-15, 11:52 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
If the drywall is in good shape there is no reason not to use it. I removed my old kitchen cabinets, relocated electrical and did some minor plumbing changes. Installed new cabinets. I also installed ceramic tile on drywall. What else do you apply it too in a kitchen room? That was several years ago. Never a problem. Did the electrician give a specific reason why?

Old 03-20-15, 12:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
He said that we can't install tile over drywall and that it has to be backerboard. But we planned on doing a layer of thinset before the mortar and thought that was sufficient.

Old 03-20-15, 12:33 PM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Backer board is the correct stuff to use in bathrooms and wet areas. Technically speaking the back splash on a kitchen counter top with sink should use backer board. However, if your counter top will have a 3 to 4 inch back splash and the tile is grouted and sealed properly you should have no problems. I installed my kitchen tile back splash years before backer board was popular or available. I have never had any problems.

Old 03-20-15, 01:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
I see tile installed over drywall for a backsplash [including my house] all the time and have never seen any issues because of it. Not like it's going to see anywhere near the moisture a shower wall sees