Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What to do with cast iron pipe and new kitchen cabinets

Old 03-26-15, 03:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am having new kitchen cabinets in stalled.The 2 in cast iron pipe is about 1-2 in from out side wall (part of pipe closest to wall). The pipe at one end goes down to kitchen on 1 st fl,the other end goes to another full bathroom to the left looking at picture. Of course the kitchen (redoing) is connected also at trap in picture on bottom right. What is best way to install new cabinets? Any help welcome.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 05:25 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cabinets

Remove the plumbing inside the cabinets. Carefully measure and mark new cabinets where holes need to be cut to re-install plumbing after the cabinets are installed. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-26-15, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
I would remove all the steel you can access while the cabinets are out. Install the new cabinets and replace the drain lines with plastic piping (PVC or ABS). The horizontal runs of galvanized are a common failure/leak point as water laying in the bottom tends to rust them from the inside out. Also, the trap you currently have is not easily removable which can make clearing a clog more difficult than it needs to be.

Then there is the dishwasher drain line. I don't know who hose clamped the drain line to soft copper but that is not correct and should be re-done as well. I'm almost afraid to ask where that copper goes and how it ties into the drain system.

Old 03-26-15, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Dane said, I would cut the pipe out and replace it after cabinet install while you have the chance. You can get help here when it comes time for reassembly.

The dishwasher drain line can be extended one of two ways:
A 5/8" barb fitting into a 5/8" id hose. This will be if you are tying into a branch tailpiece or air gap.

A 7/8" barb into a 7/8" id hose. This will be if you want to run hose directly into disposer inlet.

It may seem like a pain to remove all these pipes and reassemble, including copper lines. You'll be glad you did.