Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Gluing (or otherwise attaching) laminate backsplash to laminate countertop.

Old 04-13-15, 03:56 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long story short: I bought a countertop for my bathroom vanity but it was the depth of a kitchen counter. I cut the back part off to make it fit. I now want to use the 4 inch backsplash thing (I dont know what the correct terminology is) by cutting it straight, attaching it to the back of the counter, and then putting a bead of silicone in the corner.

The counter is already attached to the vanity, so screwing it from underneath would be very hard.

Can I attach it to the other counter and wall using a bead of silicone, in the same fashion as underneath a sink, or should I use PL, contact cement, or whatever else I need to use?

P.S. I already know they make counters for bathroom vanities, but I had already cut the width of it when I realized my mistake so I couldn't return it.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-15, 04:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You don't need a very strong adhesive on the back and side splashes. I generally use a kitchen and bath adhesive caulk. Run a zig zag bead across the back of the splash and also run a continuous bead along the sink top and set the splash down into it. It will help prevent water from seeping underneath. You can do what ever bead you want along the inside corner that is visible.

PS- am I allowed to comment on this?

Old 04-14-15, 07:39 AM
S
thanks!

and yes, you are allowed to comment on whatever you want! I don't know what I'd do without you sometimes Czizzi! Always there to set me on the right path!

Old 04-14-15, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend using 100% silicone caulk to attach counter to cabinet and splash to walls.

The adhesive caulk gets very hard with age and removing the top (or a sink) is very hard to do without damage.

The silicone remains flexible and can be cut

Old 04-14-15, 09:55 AM
S
Do I need some kind of mechanical fastener while the silicone cures, or can I just plop it on, slide it around a bit to ensure coverage, and then wait?

Old 04-14-15, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, just wait. No need to slide.

The counter will settle in and cure. If the walls don't want to grab or sit crooked, you can use hot melt glue for instant grab until silicone dries. Just a few dabs of hot melt will hold it and allow you to position the piece.

Old 04-14-15, 01:13 PM
S
Alrighty - Thanks !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: