Shower door is 1/4" too wide

Old 04-14-15, 12:19 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shower door is 1/4" too wide

Is it acceptable practice to drill/carve out the wall tile in order to fit in a shower bar in?

Shower Door: A&R chrome sliding door with the wheels
Door width: Min 58 - Max 60"
Mounts with one bar that goes across the top just under the top edge of the glass. The tile mounts to cement board with 3 pressed studs behind the cement board.

I'm thinking I could take 1/8" of an inch out of the tile on each side, or to prevent cracking, just carve out enough tile to all the way to the cement board, then mount the bar and seal it up neatly with caulk. I don't know whether this is an unacceptable or dangerous practice. I built the entire bathroom with this specific shower door in mind, but it's my first and I thought sliding shower doors were more adjustable.

Old 04-14-15, 01:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Yes, unfortunately sometimes when they say min 58 they don't mean even a squidge more.

I would not try taking 1/8" off the face of the tile. That just sounds like a mess and one slip with the grinder and you've screwed up your tile. Do you have a good way of cutting the tile since it's already installed? If so I'd cut it only on the one end away from the shower head to minimize the water hitting the cut area. What does the frame extrusion look like on the sides. I'm wondering if you can disassemble the frame and have it machined down.

Old 04-14-15, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with PD on trying to have the bar modified.

Old 04-14-15, 02:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
First, provide a link to your exact door
Second- what is the exact measurement of your shower wall to wall

From the A&R units I looked at online, a simple bar adjustment is all that you need. However, you spoke of different attachment method than the one I looked at. Going shorter on a sliding shower door only means that the overlap is more in the middle - which is a good thing. I would return the door before I would modify the tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: