Removing old thinset from wall from old tile

Old 04-15-15, 05:48 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing old thinset from wall from old tile

Hello,

I removed old tile from my bathroom wall behind the toilet last night and there is still the mortar or thinset remaining with which seems to be a mesh within the adhesive that they used.
I have attached a picture and I was wondering how to remove or sand this.
Or do I need to take out that piece of wall and replace it.

My walls are old sheetrock or plaster walls.

Name:  IMG_0156.jpg
Views: 3443
Size:  32.7 KB

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-15, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welclome to the forums! That appears to be Durock or other concrete backer underlayment with thinset on top. The only real good way to redo the tile job is to remove all the cbu and start over fresh from the studs with new Durock or Hardiebacker. The cbu joint above the toilet lid is not smooth and will cause problems with tile installation anyway. You know you will be removing the toilet as well, right? You can give us the full perspective of your project and we may be able to help further.

Old 04-15-15, 09:09 AM
S
Hi!
Thanks for writing me back. The actual scope of the project is to just paint the wall and put a new baseboard on. I removed the tile that went halfway up the wall to the floor.

I will not be tiling the wall again.

Yes! I know i need to remove the toilet. I have a plumber coming next week to do some stuff and make replacements so i was doing what i could until he got there.
I was afraid to remove the old toilet as I'm not experienced with that yet or tried that yet, and am afraid of what i will find once i remove the toilet and i only have one bathroom.

So if the intent is to just paint, you suggest to remove everything and replace the wall?

Old 04-15-15, 09:26 AM
S
I googled Durock after you wrote back, and was thinking why would they use Durock in a non-shower/tub area? That's behind the toilet which is part of the bathroom and not the shower...seems odd as I always see people putting tile on drywall when they do a back splash or tile in the kitchen etc...
I think this tile job was done about 20 years ago by a previous owner; my neighbor had told me when the guy was doing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: