Trying to salvage uneven shower basin

Old 04-17-15, 07:37 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to salvage uneven shower basin

I installed a kerdi schluter shower and the basin ended up uneven. The drain was set in mud too high for the floor tiles causing there to be constant standing water around the drain. This problem can probably be solved using a tiny drill bit to make weeping holes around the drain. But the basin itself is uneven in one spot and by the time a full day goes by the grout in that area never fully dries at the grout lines like the rest so I have an area that always has a wet looking appearance in the grout because well, we shower every day. There's no standing water in that spot but because it drains slower than everywhere else, it looks like crap having that splotchy appearance.

You can tell just eyeballing it that the basin isn't perfectly sloped, there's a bit of a hump causing that one spot to drain slower than the rest

Am I going to have to rip up and retile the whole basin? How can I do that without damaging the kerdi membrane?

Old 04-17-15, 08:33 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you have two problem areas. The grate is too high and the deck mud does not have a constant slope to the drain. The uneven slope is a common problem I see all the time.

Let me understand that you did the work as in the pics I've attached;

You installed a cleavage membrane to the subfloor and then the lath.

Then placed the deck mud and installed the lower drain into the fresh mud per directions.

Installed Kerdi membrane in prep for the final step.

Installed the tiles, then set the grate, tiled around it and tapped the grate down, (but obviously not enough).

Please confirm this is what you did.

Having trouble loading multiple pics, may have to do it individually.

Jaz

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-15, 08:37 PM
J
Actually...... might be best to go here and find the steps. Kerdi over wood shower.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10143...ums?banner=pwa

Post back when ready.

Jaz

Old 04-19-15, 09:57 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, those are the steps taken. The sloping of the tiles is just a disaster, I've confirmed that I need them to come out. Problem is I doubt it can be done without having to repair the kerdi membrane. FML. That kit +tiles and supplies is going to cost me $1000. Not impressed.

Old 04-20-15, 04:47 PM
J
Removing all the tiles is going to damage the Kerdi, I guarantee it. But if you go that route you'l need to be very careful and not remove the fabric near the wall. You'll have to overlap or apply Kerdi Band on the new seam to keep it waterproof.

I was thinking you could try to salvage what's laid and install new tiles over what's there after tweaking the floor of course. You'd have to remove the grate area and probably replace it so you can adjust to the new height. Do you follow what I'm proposing?

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: