Shampoo boxes built into exterior wall?

Old 04-17-15, 07:47 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shampoo boxes built into exterior wall?

Can a shampoo box be built into a wall which is exterior of the house? I have a feeling without the insulation it will be cold.

Old 04-17-15, 08:12 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
OK so what's a shampoo box?
And your right, really, really bad idea to try a nitch on an outside wall.

Old 04-17-15, 09:20 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A shampoo box is a niche. But, what's a nitch?

Yes noname, you're right and so is Joe. Bad idea.

Jaz

Old 04-17-15, 09:31 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
OK so what's a shampoo box?
A box in the wall of a shower to hold shampoo bottles.

Joe is correct, a very bad ideas as it will diminish (most likely eliminate) the insulation between the inner and outer walls at that point.

Old 04-18-15, 06:40 AM
X
I guess I got a great contractor then. I was just double checking before the second bathroom gets done. Is their a special grout porcelain tile sealer for the shower area? I have porcelain tile ad glass mosaic with unsanded grout which the tileshop said to use but tiler wasn't thrilled with it in the shower area. I figure I would seal it.Name:  noname.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  33.9 KB

Old 04-18-15, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,318 Likes on 2,981 Posts
I guess I got a great contractor then
We didn't say it couldn't be done but that it could be a cold spot. In your shampoo box is on an outside wall....more than likely it will be cold in the winter.

(I hope your contractor can help you when the shampoo freezes)

Old 04-18-15, 10:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course if you move to the Florida Keys... location, location, location.

Old 04-18-15, 11:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I see, there are no tiles that need sealing, only the grout. A good quality grout sealer would work just fine.

Old 04-18-15, 11:26 AM
J
Originally Posted by Larry
From what I see, there are no tiles that need sealing, only the grout. A good quality grout sealer would work just fine.
It's gonna happen whether they need it or not. It's actually a good idea for all glazed tiles too.

Jaz

Old 04-18-15, 12:29 PM
X
This is not the bathroom with the outside wall shampoo box. That was for the next bathroom to be remodeled. Sorry for any confusion. In any case the tile I have is porcelain 9x12 on the walls and 1 wall is glass mosaic as well as the shower floor. What do you recommend to seal the grout if you think I don't need to seal the tiles. I would like to seal if water sits on the ledge of the shampoo box. What is the best grout sealer to use? The shower floor and the glass mosaic have alot of grout Is there an easy sealer instead of going grout line by grout line. Thanks

Old 04-18-15, 12:40 PM
Jaz, what I was getting at was there was no need for two different products. Yeah, kinda hard to seal unsanded grout lines without a Q-tip

Old 04-18-15, 02:24 PM
Use a spray bottle on fine mist to seal your grout on mosaics. By default the tiles will be sealed as you wipe off all the sealer. Hopefully, your contractor properly sloped the shampoo box so water doesn't sit. Also, hope he properly waterproofed underneath that area as well.

For the shower on the exterior wall, we had previously talked about corner shelving. A 7" radius on a qtr round shelf will be perfect.

Old 04-18-15, 07:14 PM
X
Yes it is sloped but in sure some water will get in over time. Can the sealer also be sponges over the entire wall then wiped off excess?

Old 04-18-15, 07:33 PM
The sponge will do great to hit the tile, but you want the sealer to saturate the grout first, not the tile, thus the spray bottle.

Old 04-20-15, 04:41 AM
X
I have seen some long or double shampoo boxes with a shelf in between. What do they use to create the shelf? Thanks

Old 04-20-15, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Often that shelf is made out of a piece of marble.

Old 04-20-15, 10:36 AM
X
How thick is the shelf usually? I need to look for a shelf for the next bathroom for the shampoo box. Thanks

Old 04-20-15, 10:42 AM
Marble runs around 3/4" thick. If you are leaning toward the beige spectrum, Crema Marfil is a popular variety. Most tile and stone places will have some laying around. Crema Marfil also is a popular stone inside many of the mosaics glass/tile combos. Another alternative is to see if you can get a hold of 2cm granite. Normal counters are made of 3cm granite, but some work in the thinner variety. It would open up additional options for you.

Old 04-21-15, 10:32 AM
X
Thanks now won't the spray bottle spray the sealer all over similar to a sponge instead of just the grout?

Old 04-21-15, 02:07 PM
J
Noname,

It's a little confusing since you've got several thread going about the same project on at least two different forums. The subject seems to be changing several times in this thread. But I think we came keep up.

You seem to think that sealer goes only on the grout and you cannot/should not get any on the tiles. Is that what you think?

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 02:32 PM
J
Just to clear up a few things that were said earlier:

I think noname got confused when Larry said;

He later said;

Yeah, kinda hard to seal unsanded grout lines without a Q-tip
Well, you do not use Q-tips to apply sealer on grout. In the case of mosaics you apply it all over, wait for the sealer to soak in a few minutes, then wipe the tiles with a towel. With large tiles you can concentrate on the grout, then wipe off, or wipe on grout, then a light wipe of the tiles, then wipe off with towel.

This is true with every penetrating sealer I've seen. Many people think there's no need/benefit to applying sealer to the glazed tiles. Not true. Glazed tiles have microscopic pores that can be filled with penetrating sealers. The same is true with polished porcelain. Actually polished porcelain is very porous and may be required to be sealed.

Jaz

Old 04-21-15, 02:48 PM
My point was not so much to concentrate on just the grout (q-tip), but to state there would be no need in buying two different products to do the job that one would do.

Old 04-21-15, 03:41 PM
J
Yes Larry, good job, there's no question is would be silly to use two different sealers, you're absolutely correct.

FOR THE RECORD;

There is no reason to avoid applying sealer to the tiles, even if there was a way to do so. (BIG tiles) With most tiles you apply sealer with a piece of white 100% cotton rag such as part of a T-shirt, then wipe off with larger towel or? Q-tips stay in the medicine cabinet and those little sealer bottles with the tiny tip stay on the store shelves.

Jaz

Old 04-22-15, 09:32 AM
X
The local tile shop mentioned using their product and a sponge and wipe on tile and grout let dry and wipe it down with clean towel. The spray bottle idea seems easier. Part that was getting me confused was if I seal the grout only it would be hard unless you had Qtip to get in all the lines. I agree 1 product seal everything tile and grout. Concern I has was if the sealer ruined the tile by staining it or left a haze on mosaics. It appears its fine to use all over. Thanks

Old 04-22-15, 10:45 AM
X
I understand about a marble shelf. Would this work Claros Silver Honed Base 4 x 12 in - Trim Profiles, Tile Edge Profile - The Tile Shop since I am using this travertine this will match with the tile.

Old 04-22-15, 12:22 PM
J
Originally Posted by noname
The local tile shop mentioned using their product and a sponge and wipe on tile and grout let dry and wipe it down with clean towel.
If they said to let it dry, I'm sure they're wrong. Sealer is wiped off before it dries. Double check the instructions. I recommended 511 Impregnator because I believe it's a much better product.

Is there a lot of natural stone tiles in the shower, or just a little?

Jaz

Old 04-22-15, 12:44 PM
X
The porcelain tiles are on the walls, the glass mosaic looks more glass and little tiles but I don't think there is natural stone in them. Same with the floor tile in the shower.

I think I am going to follow your suggestion with the 511 Impregnator sealer. From the instructions it states spread it on wait 3-5 minutes and buff it out. I just want to seal the shower area especially the shampoo box and the grout in the shower. Does this product smell where I need to keep it exhausted for a few hours?

I know I messed up on the threads sorry for that. Do you recommend I follow the product instructions to apply with the applicator over entire tiles and buff off after 3-5 minutes? Or should I go with the spray bottle way and do the same?

What do you think about a shelf inside of a tall shampoo box do you think this would work? I understand about a marble shelf. Would this work http://www.tileshop.com/product/clar...e+4+x+12+in.do since I am using this travertine this will match with the tile.Thanks

Old 04-22-15, 04:44 PM
Your 4x12 is just a piece of bullnose tile, not really designed for use as a shelf. You may be able to stick one back to back so you have two finished sides exposed and a grout line down the center. The marble would be one solid piece, polished on both sides. Here are some pictures to look at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crem...CoQsAQ#imgrc=_

Old 04-22-15, 06:01 PM
J
I agree with Z, that piece of bullnose is not appropriate for the job. Get corner dishes or whatever you can find locally.

I would not spray any sealer. 511 impregnator is solvent base, it has a smell, follow directions. They also make a 511 H2O, but it still contains solids. Check all their products here;Miracle Sealants Company

Where are you using travertine? Is it accents or what?

Jaz

Old 04-22-15, 08:46 PM
X
Travertine is going in the next shower all shower walls to the ceiling and around a window in the shower as well as the shampoo box.

Thanks for the 511 info. I will have to make sure the bathroom is well ventilated before I use it to get rid of the fumes/smell.

That bullnose goes the bottom of floors I think and is 3/4 thick. I guess I need to look for a marble slab.

What do you mean by the 511 offering H20 containing solids?

I will use the applicator they recommend and not a spray.

Old 04-23-15, 06:30 AM
X
It's hard to find a marble shelf for inside the shampoo box from the tileshop. Maybe a threshold cut would work in marble?

Old 04-23-15, 07:34 AM
Call granite stone countertop dealers/fabricators in your area. They most likely have some laying around. Shouldn't charge you more than $30 or so to fabricate to your specs.

Old 04-23-15, 07:55 AM
J
H2o means it's water base instead of solvent. But of course it's not just water, there's solids in there.

A complete travertine shower huh? OK, stone looks beautiful but be prepared for lots of xtra maintenance. Besides the tiles, be sure the guy understands how to waterproof the job BEFORE any tiles are installed. Window in a shower, bad news.

How big is the shampoo box that you can split it with an added shelf? No threshold quality marble, you need polished unbeveled slab custom cut to size. You can't just go someplace and get a shelf for this niche. As Z said.

Jaz

Old 04-23-15, 10:57 AM
X
Thanks for clarifying the solvent.

This shower is rarely used just the tub is used. The tiles will be sealed as directed.
The window was in the shower when I purchased the house and I just put new windows in recently. It gives nice light into the bathroom. It needs to stay unfortunately. The installer knows what to do by eliminating the molding and tiling around it etc.

The shampoo box I was thinking can be a little less then a foot wide and 2 feet tall. This would require the shelf in the middle. ANy other thoughts.Name:  PART_1429808126022_IMG_20150423_125503670_HDR.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  27.1 KB This photo shows the window and the wall where I plan on putting the shampoo box vertically between the beams.

Old 04-23-15, 12:47 PM
J
That is not a shower, it's a tub enclosure or surround, or tub with a shower. It matters only in that it's no where as critical or difficult to build right.

Niches come in several sizes if you buy one, or can build one any size you want.

The installer knows what to do by eliminating the molding and tiling around it etc.
Ok, I'll take your word for it, but tiling around the window or just tiling in general is not going to make it waterproof.

I know you've got two projects going, did we ever get into the specifics of the installation methods and products? Do you know what he's using?

Jaz

Old 04-23-15, 01:56 PM
X
This photo is the end of the shower. The front of the shower/tub is not shown. This is to show the wall where I plan on adding the niche. The tile will enclose where the trim/molding around the window is currently. The inner part of the window will have white PVC material to help prevent any water issues. The tile will be sealed as directed per directions of sealant. I understand maintenance and about the window but I am stuck with it and have to work around it. The window has a blind and I had a vinyl curtain to help with the water from hitting it. While the other shower was under construction we used this shower and with the shade pulled down very little water was on the sill. Once this is remodeled there will be no sill to help eliminate any water sitting.

The previous shower is complete and no we did not discuss about materials. Name:  PART_1429818743814_IMG_20150423_125104378_HDR.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  20.0 KBName:  PART_1429818738907_IMG_20150423_124849987_HDR.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  37.9 KB

Old 04-23-15, 02:24 PM
J
This photo is the end of the shower. The front of the shower/tub is not shown. This is to show the wall where I plan on adding the niche.
I have no idea what this means. I see the right end wall and part of the back wall with the window and a tub.

Sealing the grout does not make it waterproof, it just helps slow down water absorption for easier maintenance. If you want to waterproof the job, you have to waterproof it BEFORE any of the tiles are installed.

The previous shower is complete and no we did not discuss about materials.
Well, I'd wanna know what I'm getting and how. This isn't as easy as buying a new car or appliances.

Jaz

Old 04-23-15, 02:59 PM
I can almost guaranty that the shadow box niche will require some re-framing of that wall if you want it centered. Otherwise, it will be off center to the left or right of the shower wall. If it is an exterior wall, and I think you said that initially, it will have a bearing on the sheathing and siding to the outside. It is important that the contractor create a proper header for the new framing to carry any roof loads. Proper headers carry the weight down to the base plate. He shouldn't just frame a box and be done with it.

Also, as previously mentioned, you will have 2' x 1' wide un-insulated wall area, plus a window, living in snow country. Gonna be a chilly bathroom.

I see you took my recommendation on the bathroom vanity. Did it provide enough clearance to get your hinged shower door in?

Old 04-24-15, 06:14 AM
X
The wall where the shampoo box is going is not on an outside wall. Originally I thought it was going under the window of the shower closer to the bath tub but it was advised against due to outside wall. The shampoo box will go opposite of the faucet wall which you see in the previous photo of the blue bathroom. The completed bathroom the shampoo box is on an interior wall.
We opted against a shower door for now maybe in the future since it will need to be custom made and very expensive. We can always add it later down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: