Shower pan, flange or no flange? Mud or foam?

Old 04-20-15, 07:17 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shower pan, flange or no flange? Mud or foam?

Hello- I am installing a shower in my master bath. It is my first time working with tile, thinset, mortar, cement board, any if it. I am trying to decide if I am going to go with a custom shower pan or build it myself (it is not a standard size).

Question 1- are the pre manufactured foam floor slopes really just as good as doing it with mortar or are they just easier and more expensive?

Question 2- I am trying to decide between using the Kerdi $ystem or having a custom basin made by KBRS. Any recommendations.

Question 3- KBRS makes a full tile pan which is ready to be tiled for about $700, or they will make just a custom floor slope for about $450 in the dimensions that I need. Which is a better method, to put down the floor slope and bring the cement board down on top of it into the sealer, or to use the tile basin with the flange and float the cement board over the flange without making contact, per instructions. Or a third option, tile-redi had a sort of Z-flashing, I could set the cement board on too of the flange and use the flashing. Any comments?

Question 4- any advice on where to get or what to pay for good shower doors? We want frameless, 1/4" or 3/8" hinging doors with a neo angle. Sides are custom to fit with walls.

Thanks, I appreciate (in advance) your response.

Old 04-20-15, 07:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
easier and more expensive?
Answer 1- Yes
Answer 2 - I don't think Kerdi will be as expensive as a pre made custom pan by any means.
Answer 3 - They have priced themselves out of my market, but would probably use one on a personal shower unit if necessary. I don't think you will find a flanged pan in the size/shape you need.
Answer 4 - Local plumbing supply houses, box stores all have nice frameless doors. Just a matter of picking one out you like.

Old 04-21-15, 06:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I could build a boat load of custom shower pans from scratch for $700. Take a moment to review the attached post to see what is involved.

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

The most difficult part is the curb. For that, I recommend a preformed curb that can be easily cut with a utility knife. They are available at tile supply/distributors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: