Help with removal of shower door frame

Old 05-04-15, 08:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with removal of shower door frame

Good evening,
My wife and I recently purchased an older home in need of some renovation.
One of our first projects is the bathrooms. Both are very dated tile projects (pink and blue...one each) and both have dilapidated aluminum frames that once held shower doors.
I've removed several frames in the past, but these are tricky because they've been secured with nails, not screws.

Any tips for removing these without destroying the tile or walls behind?
The tile will eventually be replaced, but for now, the doors need to go.
If anyone has tips or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Bill

Old 05-04-15, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A picture or two of what you have there would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

To remove tracks that are nailed in you may need to start with something thin like a sharp putty knife between the track and the tile. After you get some wiggle room you can use a flat pry bar. At that point use a thin piece of wood to pry against so the tile doesn't crack.

Old 05-05-15, 07:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response, and also for the photo help (was doing this from my phone last night)
Here's what I'm dealing with. Large flat headed nails that look like roofing nails, and other fasteners that have a rubber bumper on them to stop the glass doors from banging.

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  15.7 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  19.7 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  13.6 KB

Old 05-05-15, 07:41 AM
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Here is one solution;

Name:  Vise grip nail puller.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  24.2 KB

RR

Old 05-05-15, 08:50 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd probably grind the nail head off to remove the door frame. Then use a nail set to drive the balance of the nail under the level of the tile and caulk the remaining hole. Using a pry bar would be risky as the tile is possibly set on drywall. Even though there is a mud cap on the shower tile, you can not guarantee that it is a cement bed underneath. Sometimes a second layer of drywall was used which would require a mudcap tile not a bullnose. It is also easy to chip a tile by prying against it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: