Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

converting a basement bathroom into a room that is the shower

Old 05-09-15, 01:12 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am renovating a small 4 x 5 room that originally had a toilet vanity and a hodge podge makeshift shower. The room is in the basement and the shower was built between the toilet and sink. With no room to move in the shower I decided to remove it and want use the entire room as the shower. The toilet and sink will remain in the room as well. Question is what do I need to do to the wall and floor to seal it properly. Showers basically have liners but as this is an already tiled basement floor what would you suggest in order to convert the room. Sealing the wall and floor together.

Old 05-10-15, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will need to make a sloped floor for the shower pan, which will make your toilet lean to one side. You will need to treat all the walls as if it were a shower by applying a vapor barrier over the studs, then concrete backer underlayment, then tile, possibly all the way to the ceiling. The existing tiling will not suffice for proper drainage, so a sloped floor will be necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: