Tiling directly over latex paint?

Old 05-28-15, 07:10 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiling directly over latex paint?

We are remodeling a bathroom. We decided to continue the subway tile out of the shower as wainscoting on other walls in the room. The walls were just repainted about a month ago with semi-gloss latex paint. We have started tiling and went directly over the paint for a few rows. Now I see we should have, at a minimum, sanded the paint first to rough it up, Yikes!! The rows that are already up are rock solid for a week now. So my question is, when are those tiles going to fall off the wall? We will sand before continuing, but I will need some real convincing before I consider taking the first few rows down and starting over.. Any thoughts...

Old 05-29-15, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What are you using as an adhesive medium? Thinset, mastic? Type and brand. You probably won't have tiles fall off the wall if the adhesive you used is quality enough.

Old 05-29-15, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Way back when, when using greenboard under the tub surround tile was the norm I had a builder fuss at me for getting overspray on the greenboard saying the tile wouldn't stick. The tile guy set him straight saying his tile would adhere fine to my paint but he'd appreciated it the builder would get on the drywall guys for getting texture on the greenboard because it did cause issues.

I would think a scuff sand with 80 grit along with the correct thinset would alleviate any issues.

Old 05-29-15, 09:34 AM
S
TEC TOTALFLEX Universal Morter from Lowe's is the thinnest we are using. We will sand the remaining wall but don't want to take down the 6 rows we already did... What a mess. They are really stuck on and would do a lot of damage taking them off.

Old 05-29-15, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I don't think I'd bother removing and reinstalling the tile you've already set especially since it seems to be well adhered.

Old 05-29-15, 11:54 AM
S
Thanks for your encouragement. We did sand the remaining areas with 40 grit, so it should work ok. Maybe the fact that there will be newly laid tile above and below these 6 rows will help it stay up. Or at least if it will stick for about 20 years, then at the next remodel the tile removal in that area will go really quick...Thanks again..

Old 05-29-15, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The thinset will adhere well. You seem to be stuck on a "what if" situation 20 years down the road. Do the job and move on. It will be fine, really. Much more DIY stuff you can get into around your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: