Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remodel kitchen corner (with radiator)

Hi all

I'm new :-)

I was hoping to get some ideas for this corner:

Name:  IMG_1662.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  33.0 KB

Right now it's just storage... and a little playtime corner as well.... as you can see :-)

What I really wanna do is make it a bit more useful..
I'd like to add a fridge to the corner and integrate it a bit more into the rest of the kitchen.

But just removing everything and sticking a fridge in the corner isn't really ideal.. But if adding a fridge what else would you suggest I consider?
Worktop?
cabinets?

It isn't the biggest of kitchens so I need to make sure it won't feel all cramped...
I know you'd probably want to see the rest to get an idea but I only have the above image right now.

The corner is 160cm(5.2 feet) (where the radiator is) by 260 cm(8.2 feet) to the door.

I'm hoping you guys might have some good ideas or photos that I can use :-)

Kindest regards all the way from Denmark :-)

Martin

Old 06-07-15, 05:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not a designer but I wouldn't put a fridge that close to the radiator.

Old 06-07-15, 06:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Depending on how dislocated it is from the rest of the kitchen, maybe a row of upper and lower cabinets with the refrigerator closer to the door? What sort of electrical service do you have in that corner. Can it handle a refrigerator? You may need to run a new circuit, and water supply if you have an ice maker.

Old 06-07-15, 06:40 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
How ambitious do you want to get? If you own the house then you can do almost anything. From just a new coat of paint to a rework. For instance, you could remove all the wall decoration and put up cabinets along the upper section with a refrigerator in the middle of the wall and cabinets resounding it. You could build a cabinet or shelf around the radiator leaving the front open or using a decorative grill type facing. You could install a folding table that would fold down against the wall when not in use. My sketch is pretty bad, but it might give you some ideas.

Name:  IMG_1662.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  39.4 KB

Old 06-07-15, 06:49 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Actually, your sketch & imagination are pretty good.

Old 06-07-15, 07:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Sketch is better than I could do on a pc .... but how do you operate that light once it's inside the cabinet

It would really help to see the rest of the kitchen. If you take away the space for the kitchen table do you still have another dedicated place to eat?

Old 06-07-15, 09:36 AM
S
Hi all

I'll try taking a picture of the rest of the kitchen as well to give you guys the "whole" picture.

I own the house so I can do whatever I want... (save the wife's final word of course)

Norm201, that's not a bad idea.. I'll have to mull your suggestions over. I will give a more thorough answer later on but just thought I'd respond to everyones posts...

Marksr... the light fixture is not close to the wall and neither is the lamp.. it's just the downside of 2D images :-)

We rarely.. .. well.. never.. eat at that table.. it's become storage space really.. :-( which is why I want to do something about it...

Chandler.. I don't have an icemachine.. it's really not that popular here in Denmark... the socket in the wall will be able to handle the refrigerator..
although I might consider adding an extra outlet from the lightfixture previously mentioned..

Old 09-30-15, 08:31 AM
S
Hi All...

Well, it's been a while... other projects & the summer took most of my time..

I've linked to images of the kitchen.. you will of course forgive the mess.. I was in the middle of making room/removing furniture when I decided now was now..take the darn pictures...

so what do you think when looking at the sketch drawn by Norm201?

I am thinking that the fridge could be besides the 'playkitchen'.. if I place it where the 'play kitchen' is right now.. it'll act as a wall when entering from the other room and won't look so good I think...

thoughts?

Old 09-30-15, 08:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing as Norm when I started reading but I have to admit I didn't think of the upper cabinets like he did - I only had the fridge by the doorway and the countertop above the radiator and over to the fridge.

Old 09-30-15, 09:03 AM
C
Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts
I once worked with a kitchen designer, and she suggested that my wife and I keep a pad out on the counter for a few weeks and write a note every time we had an "I wish" moment, such as "I wish the clean towels were closer to the sink" or "I wish we had more pantry space and it was easier to find things". Stuff like that. After a few weeks we had quite a list and the designer was able to incorporate many, maybe most, of the ideas into new kitchen layout. She also said that by making a point to notice what *wasn't* on the list, such as "wish pans were closer to stove", that she could tell what was working well in current layout. Anyway, long winded suggestion that rather than just brainstorm possible ideas, you let the shortcomings and needs drive what you choose to do.

Old 09-30-15, 12:15 PM
S
Hi CarbideTipped.. that's a great suggestion..
right now we don't really have a plan... apart from "we want a new fridge damnit!" ..
it's a bit annoying not to have a plan but on the other hand by not "just" doing something, we can look at different options and inspirations..

if anyone has any specific ideas I'm still very much interested :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: